Spicy pickle deviled tots! Wait a second, deviled tots? What in the world is a deviled tot??? What in a deviled egg? An egg filled with more egg that has been spiced up! This deviled tot is a tot filled with more potato that has been spiced up! I came up with this idea a long time ago when I was writing a tater tot cookbook! I first thought of adding an egg mixture to the tots, or even puting tots on a deviled egg. Once I realized that deviled eggs are egg on egg, I realized deviled tots should also be potato on potato! It was a real breakthrough!
The inspiration for this recipe
I wanted to revisit my old deviled tot recipe but put a spin on it. We are heading into game day snack season, as well as holiday snacks season, and I feel like these deviled tots deserve a place on the spread. This version differs from the book version because it is extra spicy and has a bit of pickle flavor! I love a good pickle flavor and I think it goes so well with the potatoes!
Make the spicy pickle filling
I boiled the potato then put it through my potato ricer. You can use a food mill if you have one. Mashing them is fine too but there might be more chunks getting stuck in the piping tip. Mashing can also make the potatoes a little gummy. After the potatoes are ready, add mayo, mustard, pickle juice, hot sauce, wasabi or horseradish, grated garlic, and paprika.
Perfectly seasoned potato mixture! Make sure you taste it and adjust the seasonings as needed.
Pipe the spicy pickle potato onto the tater tots
I love to use a piping bag for any deviled egg so you could bet that I will also use it on a deviled tot! It just makes them look so much nicer. Cook the tots nice and crispy and line them up on the serving dish, then pipe the filling on to each one.
Serving the Spicy Pickle Deviled Tots
Top the filling mixture with a little pickle slice, then some chives and smoked paprika! So tasty!
I could probably eat 100 of these if I’m being honest. Perfectly crispy and creamy, with some nice heat and pickle flavor.
Notes on this recipe
If you want to make these ahead, I would just make the potato mixture first and store it in the fridge right in the piping bag. When it is time to serve the dish, cook the tots in the oven and then get them on the platter and finish them with the potato mixture and toppings.
Spicy Pickle Deviled Tots
- 3 russet potatoes about 1.5 pounds
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 tablespoon wasabi or prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 50 crispy crowns or coin shaped tots
- 15 pickle chips sliced into thin strips
- paprika for garnish
- sliced chives for garnish
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 2 inch chunks. Add to a pot with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Drain and run through a potato mill or ricer into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients and mix to combine. The amount of paprika isnt listed, you just want enough to get a good color. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding some more pickle juice or mayo if it is too stiff. Put the mixture into a piping bag
- Preheat the oven to 25 or 50 degrees higher than the package of tots says. Put the tots on a pan and drizzle with oil and a sprinkle of salt. Toss the tots on the pan to coat. Spread them apart and cook until crispy and browned, as long as it says on the package, flipping them once during cooking, about 3/4 of the way through.
- Plate the tots, then pipe the potato mixture onto each tot. Add a piece of pickle to the top of each, then sprinkle with paprika and chives. Serve.