Perfectly crispy pork tonkatsu is one of the best bites of food you can eat. I thought it would be fun to pair the crispy pork with crispy tots and pile it up with lots of cheese and tonkatsu sauce. It’s also fun cause you can call it TOTkatsu. At first I was just gonna make it a big pile, but later on I decided to layer it a bit, starting with the tots, then the cheese, then the pork, then the sauce. It came out amazing and I couldn’t stop eating it! I live streamed this recipe and you can watch it below, or continue to scroll to the recipe.
Pile up the tots first, then the cheese sauce. I actually went back and forth about melting cheese on top or doing a sauce, and sauce won the debate.
Pork next, then the sauce. Top with thin sliced cabbage and scallions.
So tasty! So crispy!
TOTkatsu – Tater Tot Tonkatsu
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1/4 cup worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pound tater tots
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup shredded cheese 4 oz
- 4 pork cutlets thin sliced and pounded
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- thin sliced cabbage
- sliced scallions
- Mix the sauce ingredients together and set aside until ready to use. Taste and adjust to personal taste
- Preheat oven to 450. Put the tots on a sheet pan and toss with the oil and salt. Bake for about 25 minutes, tossing once after about 15 minutes, until crispy.
- Whisk the milk with the cornstarch and pour it into a small frying pan or sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and kill the heat. Add in the cheese and stir until it is melted. Add a little more milk if it feels too thick. Hold on low until ready to use.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Bread the cutlets by first dipping them in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko, making sure to shake off excess after each step. Set aside on a plate.
- Preheat a pan with about a half inch of oil over medium heat. Cook the pork to brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Allow to cool for 1 minute and chop into thin strips.
- To serve- Add tots to a plate, top with the cheese sauce, add on the pork, drizzle on the sauce, and top with the cabbage and scallions.