Grilled Cheese Taco
Grilled cheese as a taco shell. YES PLEASE. I couldn’t believe it, but after doing some research, I couldn’t find evidence of this being done before! I wanted to make tacos to post today because my agency The Lisa Ekus Group is doing a fun April Fools Day Campaign that revolves around tacos. This was one of the first ideas I came up with and it was super fun and original. And they tasted awesome!
Start by slicing your bread on a really long bias so you can have big grilled cheeses!
I used some sliced jack and grated cheddar.
Really press your sandwiches to make them thin.
Then just build the taco! The key to making the sandwich more pliable is letting it sit a few minutes after it comes off the grill.
Whoa. Amazing! I ate both of these and then I tried to go for a run and pretty much died on the sidewalk in Davis Square.
It tastes just how you would expect. Like a grilled cheese and a taco had a baby.
Actually, have you guys seen that movie Hot Rod where there is a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco? This is what happened after they made up and fell in love. Haha Hot Rod is the best. Just look at all the great people in that clip.
That cross section.
I love The Lisa Ekus Group and working with them has helped my career in more ways than I could have ever imagined, so be sure to check out their site today and follow the hashtag #TACOboutTLEG for more taco related updates today.
Grilled Cheese Taco
A taco with a grilled cheese sandwich as the shell.
Servings: 3 grilled cheese tacos
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- cheese slices
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 cup red vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups water
- plenty of salt and pepper
- sour cream
- Cook the meat in a little oil with salt and pepper on high heat to brown and remove from pan.
- Cook the onions on medium in the same pan for about 20 minutes to lightly brown. season.
- Add in the garlic and jalapeno and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook 2 minutes. Add the meat back in and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, water, and honey and allow to simmer about 20 minutes to reduce the liquid and let everything come together and form a really nice sauce for the taco meat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Slice your loaf of bread on a long bias to form nice big slices of bread. Build the grilled cheeses with two slices of bread and cheese in the center.
- Grill the sandwiches with some butter. Really press your grilled cheeses on the grill with a heavy pan.. You want them thin.
- Allow the grilled cheese to rest for a few minutes and they will become more pliable. Gently fold into a taco form.
- Add the meat, then the cheese, salsa, sour cream, and lettuce.
Is this a sandwich?
I think all tacos are sandwiches… so YES! Don’t get me started on what makes a sandwich again 🙂
These are ridiculously slutty. And it’s definitely a love story between a grilled sandwich and a taco. But what would the baby look like?
Slutty Chicken: A Quesalupa
Ha! This is an amazing idea! Wish I had thought of it! Thanks for sharing!
That looks yummy, definitely give a try when no tacos shell left. I think it’s easy to hold this grilled cheese taco than the actual one.
Why not put the cheese between two flour tortillas and grill to melt then bend and load with the taco fillings? This would be a quesadilla meets taco hybrid. (Also would not require the fancy cutting of bread etc).
I wanted to do something new/different, they have double decker tacos at taco bell
This looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing. Definitely making this soon, next time I hit the store!