Grilled cheese as a taco shell. YES PLEASE. I couldn’t believe it, but after doing some research, I couldn’t find evidence of this being done before! I’m sure someone has done this but I couldn’t find it? Either way, the crispy cheese on the edges of the flattened grilled cheese is what really makes this taco a banger. Grilled cheese and tacos are two of the best foods in the world so it makes sense to combine them!
The idea behind this recipe
I was thinking about tacos as I often do, and one of my favorite trashy tacos is a cheesy crunchy gordita from Taco Bell. The one where its a soft bready tortilla first, then melted cheese, and then the crispy taco shell in the middle. I was thinking about what other melty cheesy things could work as a taco shell and a grilled cheese came to mind right away!
Prepping the grilled cheese bread
Start by slicing your bread on a really long bias so you can have big grilled cheeses! You could use regular sliced bread for this but it will come out better with these nice big thin slices.
I used some sliced jack and grated cheddar for the cheese inside
Cook the grilled cheese taco shells
Get the sandwiches on a hot buttered griddle or in a frying pan. Really press your sandwiches to make them thin. This will also help the cheese ooze out a little so you get the nice crispy edges.
Preparing the taco meat
I used my favorite simple American style taco meat for this recipe. I wrote out the recipe below, but feel free to use a store bought taco seasoning packet, or your personal favorite recipe!
Building the grilled cheese tacos
Then just build the taco! The key to making the sandwich more pliable is letting it sit a few minutes after it comes off the grill. Then adding the meat will also help it fold well.
After the meat, add more cheese, salsa, sour cream, and lettuce. YUM! I am hungry now. For a taco.
Whoa. Amazing! I ate both of these and then I tried to go for a run and pretty much died on the sidewalk in Davis Square. Should have had these AFTER running. Next time!
It tastes just how you would expect. Like a grilled cheese and a taco had a baby.
Speaking of a grilled cheese and taco having a baby, have you guys seen that movie Hot Rod where there is a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco? This grilled cheese taco is what happened after they made up and fell in love. Haha Hot Rod is the best. Just look at the cast in that clip.
That cross section!
Twists on the Grilled Cheese Taco
I mentioned using your favorite ground beef recipe. You could also of course just use a store bought taco meat. And you could do this with regular bread grilled cheese. I thought cutting it thin and on the bias helped make a better taco but I have done it with regular bread too and they come out fine!
Grilled Cheese Taco
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 cup red vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups water
- plenty of salt and pepper
Grilled cheese tacos
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 8 cheese slices
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Cook the meat in a little oil with salt and pepper on high heat to brown and remove from pan.
- Cook the onions on medium in the same pan for about 15 minutes to lightly brown. season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the garlic and jalapeno and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook 2 minutes. Add the meat back in and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, water, and honey and allow to simmer about 20 minutes to reduce the liquid and let everything come together and form a really nice sauce for the taco meat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Slice your loaf of bread on a long bias to form nice big slices of bread. Build the grilled cheeses with two slices of bread and cheese in the center.
- Grill the sandwiches with some butter. Really press your grilled cheeses on the grill with a heavy pan. You want them thin.
- Allow the grilled cheese to rest for a few minutes and they will become more pliable. Gently fold into a taco form.
- Add the meat, then the cheese, salsa, sour cream, and lettuce.