Grilled cheese as a taco shell. YES PLEASE. I couldn’t believe it, but after doing some research, I couldn’t find evidence of this being done before! I wanted to make tacos to post today because my agency The Lisa Ekus Group is doing a fun April Fools Day Campaign that revolves around tacos. This was one of the first ideas I came up with and it was super fun and original. And they tasted awesome!
Grilled Cheese Taco
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- cheese slices
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 cup red vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups water
- plenty of salt and pepper
- sour cream
- Cook the meat in a little oil with salt and pepper on high heat to brown and remove from pan.
- Cook the onions on medium in the same pan for about 20 minutes to lightly brown. season.
- Add in the garlic and jalapeno and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook 2 minutes. Add the meat back in and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, water, and honey and allow to simmer about 20 minutes to reduce the liquid and let everything come together and form a really nice sauce for the taco meat. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Slice your loaf of bread on a long bias to form nice big slices of bread. Build the grilled cheeses with two slices of bread and cheese in the center.
- Grill the sandwiches with some butter. Really press your grilled cheeses on the grill with a heavy pan.. You want them thin.
- Allow the grilled cheese to rest for a few minutes and they will become more pliable. Gently fold into a taco form.
- Add the meat, then the cheese, salsa, sour cream, and lettuce.