I put cranberry in everything this time of the year. You guys know how much I love tart and sour flavors, and cranberry is just a different way for me to hit those flavors in the Fall. A friend of mine was coming over for lunch and we decided on grilled cheeses, and I obviously decided they needed to have cranberry. I wanted to keep it simple so the only other thing I added was kale and a little bit of habanero for a kick. We both agreed it was the best grilled cheese we had had in a while!
Cranberry and Kale Grilled Cheese
cranberry habanero sauce
- 1 overflowing cup fresh cranberries
- 1 habanero minced and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- mustard for dipping
- Mix the cranberry sauce ingredients in a pot and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down and gently simmer about a half hour until the cranberries have broken down and the sauce is thick.
- Build the sandwiches with a nice sturdy bread first, then lots of cheese. Spread on the cranberry, then kale. then top with more cheese before closing.
- Grill with butter until browned and cheese is melted.