As I explained this idea to people, they didn’t seem to really get it. I say what’s not to get? Cream cheese sauce, bagel breadcrumbs, and everything spice running through the pasta. Seemed like a pretty logical idea to me. The only thing was that I didn’t think I would be able to really drive home the everything bagel flavor in the final dish. The good news is that in the end, this mac and cheese really screamed everything bagel. All of the elements melded perfectly to form exactly what you would expect out of everything bagel mac and cheese.
First I slowly cooked the garlic and onion to brown and make them crispy, then I added sesame and poppy seeds to just toast up a bit. The everything spice was complete!
I grabbed a few everything bagels at the store to use as breadcrumbs.
This is an easy style mac and cheese that uses a soft cheese (cream cheese in this case) to bind everything without the need for a flour based roux.
Mixing the everything spice into the pasta.
I made an effort to really get everything nicely browned because it mimics the toasted bagel.
Everything Bagel Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces fontina
- 8 ounces jack cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 12 scallions
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons poppy seed
- 1.5 tablespoons sesame seed
- 2 everything bagels
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- Chop the onion and garlic. On a large baking sheet mix the onion and garlic with a small amount of oil and salt. Bake at 350, stirring occasionally, until browned and crispy. Should take about an hour at least. When just about browned, mix in the sesame and poppy seeds, and cook another 5-10 minutes to lightly toast.
- Mix together the cream, fontina, jack, and cream cheeses. Chop the scallions and add to the mixture.
- Boil some salted water and add the pasta. Mix and cook. When the pasta has a few more minutes of cooking time, scoop about 1/2 cup of pasta water into the cheeses. Mix well to get everything to start melting. Finally strain the pasta and add it. Mix well and all the cheeses should have melted and formed a sauce.
- Pour into a baking dish. Mix in the cooked everything bagel spice mixture(you may not want all of it in there, use discretion and taste). Finally, toast the bagels and food process to crumbs. Use this mixture as breadcrumbs on top of the pasta. Bake at 500 for about 10 minutes until bubbly, browned, and delicious.