My friend had a spanakopita grilled cheese at a restaurant recently and I thought it would be fun to do the same flavors in mac and cheese form. I thought that this would be all over the internet already but I was surprised to see only a few recipes out there. I wanted to put my own spin on it of course, so I wrapped the whole mess in phyllo dough and baked it right in there like one huge spanakopita. When you cut into the big mac and cheese pie its pretty magical!
Onion and garlic in the pan first followed by lots of spinach. This is a whole pound but as you know it shrinks so much when you cook it. It’s best to chop the spinach before cooking it even though it can be a little tedious.
Mix the spinach with a whole bunch of cheese.
Then stir in the hot pasta to form the sauce.
6 layers of phyllo and lots of butter.
Add the pasta and wrap the whole thing up.
I love how when you dig in the pasta comes bursting out. So good.
The flavors are on point to spanakopita but also mac and cheese and the crust is such a fun way to serve it.
It’s also pretty easy to make especially if you have someone helping to layer all the pastry sheets.
Spanakopita Mac and Cheese
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound baby spinach chopped and large stems removed
- 1 bunch parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 1 package phyllo pastry
- lots of butter
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the onion in a frying pan for about 5 minutes in a little butter. Add the garlic
- Add in all the spinach and herbs and mix well. Add in 1/2 cup milk. Cook about 5 minutes until wilted.
- Remove from heat and pour the spinach mixture into a large bowl. Add in the cheeses and stir to combine.
- Drop the pasta and cook a few minutes less than the instructions on the package say.
- Strain the pasta and immedietly mix with the spinach mixture. The cheese should melt a bit and form a sauce on the pasta.
- Preheat the oven to 425
- Butter a small baking dish and add 2 sheets of phyllo. Butter and repeat until you have 6 total sheets.
- Add the pasta and fold the phyllo over the pasta, ripping away excess pastry so the top layer isnt a million layers thick. Brush with butter.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes until browned. Remove from oven and allow to sit about 10 minutes.
- Flip out onto a serving dish and serve.