When I made that s’mores cake last week, I needed like 15 more egg whites than yolks. Honestly there was like 10 whole eggs, and 15 whites which is kind of crazy. Anyways, I was hungry for lunch while I was making the cake and I had all these egg yolks laying around, so I thought it would be fun to make a super rich and indulgent carbonara with just the yolks. I had some really tasty bacon in the fridge, and also had bought a nice stalk of brussel sprouts on a whim because it is that time of year again finally, so the dish pretty much came together on it’s own.
Separating all the eggs.
The tasty bacon all chopped up.
Brussel sprouts go into the pan after the bacon is cooked.
Then the pasta.
Stir in the egg yolks to form that tasty carbonara sauce.
No carbonara is complete without the cheese! I used parm but pecorino is also acceptable.
Yea. This was really good stuff.
I wish I had some leftover because I would devour this right now. The brussel sprouts are a perfect match for the eggy bacony pasta.
A nice hit of black pepper really brings it all together.
Bacon Brussel Sprout Carbonara
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 pound pasta
- 5 strips bacon
- 25 brussel sprouts shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated
- salt and pepper
- Get some pasta water boiling with lots of salt.
- Cook the bacon in a pan to crisp up. Meanwhile, drop the pasta and cook to al dente. Add the brussel sprouts in with the bacon and cook to lightly char on high heat.
- Add the pasta directly from the pot into the bacon fat and brussel sprout mixture and stir to combine. Add about a half cup of the pasta cooking liquid.
- Pour the pasta into a large bowl and immediately stir in the egg yolks. Toss well to combine and allow the yolks to form a rich sauce. Add the parm and mix. Add more pasta cooking liquid if needed. Serve with lots of black pepper.