We were hosting some people for a brunch this past weekend but the few days before I knew I wouldn’t have much time to cook and the day of I wanted to spend time with everyone instead of buried in the kitchen. Georgina and I decided it would be good to have a bunch of food on big platters that everyone could just snack on while we enjoyed some drinks and the company. We had fruit and veggies, charcuterie, cheeses, and some deviled eggs, and I pre-assembled these simple skewers so I could just pull them out of the fridge and finish them on the grill for everyone.
I love the assertive flavor of shishito peppers but I honestly don’t love the way they are served most of the time, just charred and in a pile. I think they work better as part of a dish. They were great on these skewers and the whole one-in-ten is spicy thing is always a fun game of roulette. With the cheese and sausage combined with the peppers, these had a pizza flavor to them when you ate them plain, but the basil honey mustard took things in a different direction.
Just mix all the sauce ingredients in a blender or food processor and set it aside.
Press all the ingredients close together, and also make sure they are very similar sizes so they can brown evenly on the grill.
I just cooked them in a pan but they work great on a grill too.
You can just serve the sauce on the side if you would rather but I had to pour some on top because food bloggers do dumb stuff sometimes for the sake of a pretty photo.
I was a huge fan of these and ate more than I should have.
A really great combo of flavors and textures! And a perfect single bite.
Sausage Cheese Shishito Skewers with Creamy Basil Honey Mustard
- 2 hot Italian sausages
- 10 shishito peppers
- 12 ounces bread cheese
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 10 basil leaves
- 1/2 clove garlic grated
- salt and pepper
- Mix the sauce ingredients in the food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Boil the sausages until fully cooked. Chill.
- Cut the sausages into half moons. Cut the cheese and shishito peppers to similar size and thickness to the sausages.
- Build the skewers with a pepper first, then the cheese, then the sausage, Pushing the flat side of the sausage up against the cheese. Press all ingredients tight together.
- Grill or cook in a hot pan for about 3 minutes per side to brown everything.
- Serve and drizzle with the sauce, or serve it on the side for dipping.