I am all about making simple skewers to bring to a tailgate, and matching it with a sauce. For these I put grilling cheese on the skewer with sausage and squash which I thought was an unexpected pairing and great for the Fall season. For the sauce I made a sage honey mustard, thinking that mustard goes well with the sausage, honey goes well with cheese, and sage goes well with squash. Each ingredient on the stick has a friend in the sauce. This recipe is for episode 3 of this season of Grilling@ which you can watch below!
Cut the ingredients similar sizes to cook evenly on the grill. I cooked the squash in the oven ahead of time so it would be tender.
MAke sure they are nice and oiled before going onto the grill so the cheese doesn’t stick.
Make the sauce ahead of time by mixing the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
And pack it up in a squeeze bottle.
Grill to char up on all sides.
Drizzle on the sauce, or serve it on the side if that’s your style.
Chroizo Squash and Cheese Skewers with Sage Honey Mustard
- 1 butternut squash peeled cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound fully cooked Spanish or Portuguese chorizo sausage cut into half moons
- 8 ounces queso freir or another grillable cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sambal chili paste
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 leaves sage
- Preheat the oven to 350. Toss the squash with some oil and salt and roast for 10 minutes. Flip and cook another 10 – 15 minutes until mostly cooked through but still firm.
- Make the skewers starting with sausage, then cheese, then squash, and repeat.
- Make the sauce by mixing the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Oil the skewers and grill on medium high heat to brown on all sides.
- Remove from grill and drizzle with the sauce.