This recipe is sponsored by RumChata.
Spring is brunch season, and I am not talking about going out to a boozy brunch because that season is year round. Spring, though, is the have-people-over-for-brunch season. I recently hosted a few friends on a Sunday morning for such a brunch and made these donuts that were spiked with RumChata, and then glazed with more RumChata, and topped with bacon. To continue the theme, we all put RumChata into our cold brews and it was all in all a great way to start the day.
RumChata Bacon Donuts
- 2 3/4 cups flour sifted
- 1 packet instant yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup RumChata
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons RumChata approx
- 6 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- Mix the flour with the yeast, sugar, and salt.
- Microwave the RumChata with the butter until butter is melted. Whisk to combine.
- Mix the RumChata mixture with the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the egg and yolk and mix about 5 minutes to knead.
- Allow to rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Roll the dough out and cut your donuts with cookie cutters or glasses.
- Allow to rise again for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the RumChata with the powdered sugar, adding more RumChata if needed to form a glaze consistency.
- Bring about 2 inches of oil to 350 in a heavy frying pan.
- Fry the donuts about 15 seconds on the first side, then flip and fry 1 minute. Flip again and fry about 30 to 35 seconds until browned evenly.
- Remove from oil and allow to cool and dry on a rack for 5 minutes.
- Glaze the donuts and immediately top with bacon. Serve.