Tailgate season is upon us and these nacho style hot dogs are just what you need to win the day! It’s one of the best times of the year because it is a great excuse to stand outside drinking and eating good food. I have so much tailgating planned for the next few months and I am hyped. Hot dogs are my favorite choice to round out a good tailgate spread!
The idea behind this recipe
I was inspired by cheese and jalapeno flavored hot dogs I found in the store to make these nacho style hot dogs. Don’t worry though, if you can’t find this specific flavor, any cheese or spicy hot dog will do. Plain dogs will work just fine too! At first I was thinking I would add cheese and salsa to the dogs, but when I thought of adding crushed up tortilla chips that’s when I realized these wieners would be winners!
Prepare the buns
Toasting the buns with some butter is very important. This is easy to do on the grill as well, just brush them with the butter and toast on each side before you add the sausages. Most of my “tailgating” happens at home, so I just cook them in a pan. If you ever have thought of making your own hot dog buns, I love this recipe.
Cook the hot dogs
Next, grill or griddle the dogs! I like mine to get a nice char, so let them cook a bit. Pop them into the toasted buns.
Building the nacho style hot dogs
Top the hot dogs with crushed chips, then add the cheese sauce for the nacho style experience. I recently have been putting hot cheese sauce into a thermos and it stays the perfect temp and pour-able consistency all day!
Add the pico de gallo next.
Then, add sour cream. A squeeze bottle of sour cream is also key for portability. plus it makes the nacho style hot dogs look nice!
Serving the nacho style hot dogs
You could make them all and put them on a platter, or you could make a bar area where people could grab the dogs and add their own toppings. I love doing a hot dog bar!
All the flavors you want while tailgating in every bite! The creamy cheese goes so well with the juicy sausage links. The chips added a great crunch to these, and the sour cream drove home the nacho flavors.
Twists on this dish
You could top these with any of your favorite nacho toppings. Go crazy and add some pulled pork!
Check out my post for more inspiration on how to make a great hot dog topping bar!
Nacho Style Hot Dogs
- 4 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 hot dog buns
- 6 jalapeno cheddar dogs, or your favorite hot dogs
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup homemade or store bought pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Make the cheese sauce – mix the evaporated milk and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until combined. Pour into a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is formed, it may need another minute on low heat to allow all the cheese to melt, but be careful not to overheat it.
- Melt the butter in a pan and toast the buns in the butter. Remove from heat.
- Cook the hot dogs in the same pan until browned on the edges. Alternatively you could grill them.
- Add the sausages to the buns.
- Add the crushed tortilla chips and pour the cheese sauce on top of the sausages.
- Top with Pico de Gallo and sour cream. Serve.