I have wanted to so a gnocchi pasta salad for a while but wasn’t sure what direction I wanted to go with it. Randomly I thought it would be interesting to make it like I would make potato salad. I like my potato salad super pickley and with lots of hardboiled egg and bell pepper in it, so that was my inspiration.
Looking for a new twist on your summer meals? Look no further than the perfect combination of gnocchi and pasta salad. This dynamic duo brings together the pillowy goodness of gnocchi with the refreshing and versatile nature of a pasta salad. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue or simply craving a light and satisfying meal, this flavorful creation is sure to impress.
Understanding the Key Ingredients
To create a flavorful gnocchi pasta salad, it’s important to understand the key ingredients that will contribute to its taste and texture. Gnocchi, a traditional Italian dumpling made from potatoes, is the star of this dish. Its soft and pillowy texture provides a delightful contrast to the crispness of the salad. I normally would make my own gnocchi but I went with a brand I found in the refrigerated section. Feel free to make your own or start with your favorite brand!
After you cook the gnocchi, toss it with oil, mayo, hot sauce, and mustard to form the dressing. Then add the eggs, red bell pepper, scallions and pickles.
After the salad cools a bit, you can add the dill and smoked paprika to the mix. It is important to wait to add these ingredients so that the dill stays fresh and does not wilt.
Mixing and Serving
Now that everything has been mixed in, you can serve your gnocchi pasta salad and garnish it with even more dill and paprika!
Variations and Other Ideas
I love this idea cause it is so versatile. You might like Southern potato salad, or German potato salad, so feel free to use those flavors instead!
You can also experiment with different dressings and flavor combinations. Try a sun-dried tomato pesto dressing or a tangy balsamic vinaigrette for a unique twist. Add roasted vegetables, olives, or capers for extra flavor and texture. The possibilities are endless, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make the recipe your own.
Now when you ask yourself, should there be potato salad or pasta salad at the party, you can make this and have both!
Gnocchi Pasta Salad
- 12 ounces gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced dill pickles
- 2 hardboiled eggs chopped
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for garnish
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package instructions. Sauté them in a frying pan with butter for a few minutes until lightly browning on both sides. (Sauteing them in butter might be part of the instructions, but if not, do it anyways.)
- Place the gnocchi in a large bowl and add in all the ingredients except for the dill and paprika. Cover and cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Add in the dill and paprika and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Add more dill and paprika on top as a garnish.