It kinda feels like the summer of pasta salad because I have been seeing pasta salads everywhere this year. But guess what? Every summer is the summer of pasta salads for me. I don’t need your trends to validate me! This pasta salad is another one we are making at the grilling workshop this weekend (Tickets available here) I wanted to make an easy pasta salad and thought it would be fun to use pimento cheese as a shortcut. You could make the cheese from the recipe below, or buy it from the store to make this even easier. I served the cheese on it’s own as a dip in addition to making it in the pasta salad and people loved it so much I had to email the recipe to a few people at the party.
Pop all the ingredients into the food processor. Basil, cheddar, pimentos, sour cream, mayo, onion, jalapeno, garlic, onion, and paprika.
This is so good as a dip. If you are making this for a 1/2 pound batch of pasta salad it means you will have lots of extra to dip. Mix it at the rate of 1 cup to 1/2 pound of pasta.
Chill until ready to serve and top with scallions and ritz crackers. I love this.
Creamy and delicious! I really think the basil is crucial to this recipe cause it adds a needed freshness.
Basil Pimento Cheese Pasta Salad
Basil Pimento Cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces jarred pimento peppers drained
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 30 basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta
- 1 cup pimento cheese from above recipe
- 10 basil leaves not needed if using the homemade pimento
- chopped scallions for garnish
- ritz crackers for garnish
- Put all the pimento cheese ingredients into a food processor. Process until smooth and combined. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl and stir in the pimento cheese. (and basil if applicable)
- Chill until ready to serve. Top with scallions and crushed up ritz crackers before serving.