Are you craving a burger that combines the perfect balance of flavor and texture? Look no further than corn tortilla smash burgers. With their unique twist on a classic favorite, these burgers offer a mouthwatering experience that will have you coming back for more. Imagine sinking your teeth into a juicy patty, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection, nestled between two corn tortillas. The tortillas add a delightful crunch and a distinct flavor that takes this burger to a whole new level. But it doesn’t stop there, top your burger with your favorite taco fixings – cheese, avocado, pickled jalapeno, cilantro, and onion.
Where did the idea for Corn Tortilla Smash Burgers come from?
I have been seeing a lot of recipes where people spread raw beef on a tortilla. For the most part, it seems like a TikTok thing to get people to keep watching the video, but it had me really intrigued. I kept trying to think of fun ways to apply this idea, and the best one I could come up with was these tortilla smash burgers.
I didn’t really have expectations, but I was excited to try it anyways. In the end, the taste and textures blew me away! It came out way better than I was imagining, and it was super easy to make. The fat from the meat really soaks into the tortilla adding so much flavor. The tortilla got slightly crispy on the grill in certain areas to add a great textural dimension to the burgers.
The Smash Burger Taco Trend
A few months after I created this recipe, the smash burger taco trend kicked off in a huge way, mostly thanks to the awesome recipe from Chilies and Smoke! My burger is like a taco in burger form, whereas his is like a burger in taco form! Either way you smash it – it’s been a great summer for tacos and burgers!
Making the perfect smash burger
Place the tortilla onto the ball of meat on the griddle and press it thin. Just like any other smash burger, but with a tortilla on top. Making this super thin is important because then you get the crispy burger edges! The tortilla will probably feel flimsy at this point, but don’t worry!
When you flip the burger, the tortilla will cook and firm up. Cook on the tortilla side much longer than the meat side to add a bit of crisp and brown tortilla flavor. Now is when you add the cheese as well.
Building the Corn Tortilla Smash Burger
I debated on what to top these with but in the end went with pickled jalapenos and a simple cilantro onion mix. Avocado mayo was the ideal spread on the buns. I was trying to keep the toppings in classic taco territory!
Twists and other toppings for the corn tortilla smash burger
A lot of people mentioned that they would rather do this with 3 tortillas and no actual “bun” I tried it and it was decent but I liked the bun version better personally.
As for other toppings, I would suggest anything you like on a taco – salsa, sour cream, lettuce, pico, the list goes on!
SO much flavor! Everything you could possibly want in a smash burger with the added awesomeness of the tortillas.
I have made so many burger and tortilla combinations – The burgerrito, crunch wrap buns, quesadilla buns, and nachos on top. I didn’t think there was any more ways I could do it but I am so glad I found another one!
Products that help making Corn Tortilla Smash Burger
Corn Tortilla Smash Burger
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup mayo
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 3/4 pound 80/20 ground beef
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 slices colbyjack
- 8 slices pickled jalapeno
- 2 brioche buns
- Mix the avocado, mayo, and lime in a bowl and mash/stir to combine. Season with salt, cover tightly, and set aside.
- Mix the cilantro and onions in a small bowl. Season with salt and set aside.
- Split the meat into 4 balls. Toss the tortillas and the meat balls on a super hot griddle seasoned with peanut oil or another high smoke point oil.
- Flip the tortillas, then flip the meat balls so that there is a small browned spot on the very top of the meatballs.
- One by one, place a tortilla onto a meat ball and press it as thin as you possibly can with a spatula.
- Cook about 3 minutes, then flip. Top with cheese and cook on the tortilla side for about 3-5 minutes to crisp the tortilla and melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, toast the buns, and spread some avo-mayo on the top and bottom buns.
- double up the burgers on the grill, then transfer the doubles to the bottom buns.
- Top with the jalapenos and the cilantro onion mix. Top with the top bun and serve.