My favorite thing to eat for lunch lately is one of those “salad kits” from the grocery store that has lots of kale, brussel sprouts, and shredded broccoli. You add in the packet of cranberries, nuts, and dressing and its a super easy fairly healthy lunch. I was inspired by this to make a buffalo version that would be a great salad for a holiday spread.
I toasted the chickpeas first so they would be nice and crispy in the salad.
Carrot, kale, brussel sprouts, and celery. I also added dried cranberries.
Butter, hot sauce, honey, and cider vinegar.
Pour in the butter and hot sauce mixture and stir everything up.
I loved this salad! Everything came together really well, it had a nice buffalo flavor and was hearty and filling from the chickpeas. Nothing screams SALAD like a half stick of butter!
Buffalo Chickpea Kale Salad
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas strained and rinsed
- olive oil
- salt pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, and chili powder
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded brussel sprouts
- 1 cup thin sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped celery greens
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cayenne hot sauce like franks or crystal
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400. In a sheet pan, toss the chickpeas with the oil and spices. Bake for about 15 minutes until toasted and crispy, tossing occasionally to evenly cook.
- Put the veggies in a large bowl and add the cranberries. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add in the hot sauce, vinegar, garlic, and honey. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Pour it over the veggies and stir to combine.
- Serve the veggies on plates and top with chickpeas and blue cheese. garnish with more celery greens.