It’s so funny to me that the first kale salad I am posting is loaded with brisket! Food bloggers and kale salads go together like bros and tank tops but surprisingly I have never posted a kale salad on this blog. I love kale and use it a ton in my cooking, but never in a salad form! This week I hosted 2 separate BBQs for a total of about 50 people combined. I had some leftover brisket and corn yesterday that I wanted to re-purpose in a creative way. I made this salad that I ate on the train to New York and I absolutely loved every bite! Wow busy week!
Prepping the kale
A few days later after I had recovered from the party, I obviously wanted a healthier way to eat the brisket, so a kale salad to the rescue! Rip it off the stems, then rip it up into smaller pieces. Add it to the bowl with some salt and rub it together with your fingertips until it slightly darkens in color.
And here is that delicious brisket. Just rip it up with your hands. This salad is actually pretty hands on I guess! As I mentioned I used leftover smoked brisket. You could use any leftover smoked meat, or any leftover non-smoked brisket, and I think you would get a similar vibe.
Add that brisket to the massaged kale to start the salad!
Serving the brisket kale salad
It’s really a beautiful salad that is just as delicious as it looks. The bitter kale is a perfect match in the salad with the sour cranberries, savory brisket, and sweet corn. The creamy, tart, and spicy dressing really rounds everything out nicely.
Speaking of the dressing, it was actually incredibly simple. I just mixed together mayo, cider vinegar, and some hot sauce! The flavors in the brisket itself helped carry the kale salad so it didn’t need some complex dressing.
Go out and get some BBQ tonight and make this for lunch tomorrow with the leftovers!
Twists on this brisket kale salad
Like I said, you could saw out any meat for the brisket in this style of kale salad, but it won’t be the same if it isn’t smoked. The smoke and spice rub added so much to this salad! You could also use any dressing you love but what I really liked was how simple this whole thing was to put together.
Brisket Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 cup grilled corn
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup leftover smoked brisket
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Rip the kale off the stalks and veins. Chop it into small pieces. Massage the kale by squeezing it in your fists. Do this in the bowl for about 1 minute.
- Cut the corn off the stalks and add it to the kale. Rip up your brisket into small shreds and add it in. Dice up the cranberries and add them as well.
- Add a little mayo, a splash of vinegar, and some hot sauce. I used a local small batch sriracha for mine. Don't dress the salad too heavily, it shouldn't look like a coleslaw.