After coring a fresh pineapple recently, I had the urge to stuff it with something. This idea wasn’t going to leave my head until I finally did it, so this past weekend I made it happen. The recipe came together really easy, sushi rice would be perfect for the stuffing, some jalapeno for heat, sriracha for the savory element, and tempura flake to add crunch. Easy, creative, impressive, and delicious, everyone should make this!
I felt the need to skin the jalapenos. I was worried that if i skipped this step, the jalapenos would not cut as easily in the final product and possibly mess everything up.I was glad I did this step because it only took a few minutes to do 4 jalapenos, and it turned out I only needed 2 and a half anyways.
Next take out the middles.
Nice little jalapeno shells.
Core the pineapple. Make sure to get a nice ripe pineapple so it has a small core.
Drop the jalapeno rings into the pineapple core. Then just stuff the sushi rice in there! I used the back end of a chopstick to do this and it kinda felt like I was loading a cannon.
So at this point, my slight skepticism turned into excitement.
Just start carefully trimming the excess pineapple. I saved it all and ate it with breakfast the next morning.
Before I sliced it, I fried up some quick tempura flakes. The crunch was essential to the dish.
Some sriracha finishes it off.
These were really tasty and fun to make! The only issue is that if you are trying to make them for a party you will need to buy like 10 pineapples, and you will have a lot of leftover pineapple!
I follow this recipe every time I make sushi rice. This recipe is all about the assembly, so use the photos as a guide!
Spicy Pineapple Roll
- 1 pineapple
- 3 jalapenos
- 2 cups prepared sushi rice
- 1 cup cold seltzer
- 5 ice cubes
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- oil for frying
- Use a tool to remove the core from the pineapple.
- Optional- slice the skin off the jalapenos.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos and cut them into 1 inch wide rings.
- Put one jalapeno ring into the core of the pineapple standing up on the counter. Press the sushi rice into the pineapple inside and around the jalapeno. Repeat until you fill the pineapple core.
- Trim the excess pineapple off so you have a long thin cylinder of pineapple.
- Slice the pineapple into bite sized rolls.
- Mix the seltzer and ice in a bowl and the flour and cornstarch in another
- Whisk the flour mixture into the seltzer to form a thin pancake batter texture.
- Fill a frying pan with an inch of oil. preheat to 350. Drizzle the tempura mixture into the oil and use a metal mesh strainer to remove the crunchy fried bits. Place them on a paper towel and repeat.
- line a plate with the crunchy bits, then arrange the pineapple rolls on top. Drizzle with sriracha and more crunchy bits. Serve