The best lunch in town is the double awesome at Mei Mei, and everyone knows it. I used to live in walking distance of their brick and mortar location and I went for lunch all the time. Now that I am a little further away, Last week when I was craving the flavors of the sandwich I had to take matters into my own hands. I did a quick survey of what ingredients I had on hand, and this burger was born.
Quick note – I am taking next week off blogging in order to get the new version of the website up and running asap. Trust me, it will be worth it. Talk soon!
The dough is just flour and water. So simple! After it sits for a bit, roll it out.
Add the scallions and, my personal touch, some jalapenos, and roll it up.
Then you take each of these and form a little spiral.
And you roll out the spiral into the pancake.
Don’t worry if it doesn’t come out perfectly round.
Fry the pancake in some vegetable oil for a few minutes a side.
Then build your burger! You cooked a burger right? Also some caramelized onions? The onions go down first, then the burger with it’s just ever so lightly melted sharp cheddar, and the egg on top.
Not exactly the quazi healthy lunch I was originally thinking of that morning, but when you get an idea this good and a craving this strong, you have to run with it!
Sooooo good though. So very good.
Also, a total mess. My beard needed a full washing after this burger.
I used the Scallion Pancake recipe from The Kitchn, but I also used Jalapenos along with the scallions.
Scallion Pancake Burger
- scallion pancakes from linked recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- I used the Scallion Pancake recipe from The Kitchn, but I also used Jalapenos along with the scallions.
- Cook the onions in a pan with the butter for about 40 minutes until deeply caramelized. Stir in the sriracha and vinegar and remove from heat.
- Form the burger patties and season with salt and pepper. Cook to medium in a cast iron skillet. Top with the grated cheddar after flipping.
- Put the onions down on half the scallion pancake and place the burger on top. Top with an over easy egg and serve.