I thought of this combo mainly because any dish that is heavy on starch and beans can be easily converted to a burrito. Ditalini is commonly used in pasta fagioli which helps it emulate rice. I used sausage as a base to make a simple homemade tomato soup that I poured on as the sauce. I grew up with my grandmothers pasta fagioli as a winter staple in my family and I have loved the soup ever since, so no matter how I eat it it reminds me of home.
Yes I know ricotta isn’t normally in fagioli but I thought it would be be a good replacement for sour cream in this burrito.
Beans and sausage on next.
tomato soup, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
Wrap it up! Make sure you use the foil too.
Pasta fagioli is one of my favorite soups and it works great as a burrito!
Check the video below to see it in action.
Pasta Fagioli Burrito
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 quart chicken or veggie stock
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 8 large tortillas
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound ditalini pasta cooked and tossed with olive oil
- 2 cups cannellini beans
- cooked sausage from above
- cooked soup from above
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Parsley torn into large pieces
- Cook the sausage in some olive oil in a sauce pot on medium low heat until fully cooked and browned on the outside. Remove from pan, chop once cooled and set aside for later. Remove excess oil from the pot if necessary.
- Cook the onion, carrot, and celery in the same oil/pot for about 10 minutes until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add the stock and tomatoes and stir well to combine. Add the parsley and rosemary. Simmer for about an hour. Remove from heat. I blended this smooth with a hand blender but that step is optional.
- Warm a tortilla for 15 seconds in the microwave. Put the tortilla onto a square of foil.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of ricotta on the tortilla. Top with some pasta, then beans, then sausage, then spoon some of the tomato soup over the whole thing.
- Add the grated cheese, then a handful of parsley and roll it up. Wrap it in the foil and serve.