You guys have been following along, so you know it’s been a pretty great year. But it can’t be all fun and games, it’s time for a little detox. I made this quinoa bowl yesterday after a long weekend. So long it went till Tuesday! I roasted the kale and carrots to get a nice brown color on them, and tossed them with quinoa, cucumber, and a vinaigrette made from gochujang, soy sauce, and sesame oil. It hit the spot and energized me enough to go for a run and detox even further!
Carrots on the baking sheet.
When the carrots are done the kale goes in.
Fill your bowl with quinoa, then carrots.
Then add the kale, cucumber, sesame seed, and dressing.
This quinoa bowl packed a lot of flavor from the dressing and roasted veggies and didn’t feel light and boring but rather hearty and complex.
The dressing was sweet, spicy, sour, and savory. Everything a dressing should be! Make this tonight and eat it for leftovers the rest of the week!
Carrot and Kale Quinoa Bowl with a Gochujang Vinaigrette
- 4 large carrots chopped into 1/2 inch rounds or half rounds
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1/2 english cucumber chopped into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce tamari if gluten free
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons honey maple syrup if vegan
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- mix all ingredients well and set aside.
- Rinse the quinoa. Cook the quinoa in gently simmering water, like pasta, until tender. Strain in a mesh strainer.
- roast the carrots at 425 with plenty of oil, salt, and pepper, until browned on one side and tender throughout.
- Remove carrots from the pan and add the kale, also tossed in oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until browned and crispy.
- Place some quinoa in a bowl. Top with some carrots, kale, and cucumber. Sprinkle on some sesame seed, and drizzle on some of the dressing. Serve.