I have been entertaining the idea of using pizza dough instead of a tortilla in a quesadilla for a while now. I finally had the chance to try it last week and I loved how it came out. Making the dough super thin and assembling the whole thing on the grill was a great way to make it feel like both a calzone and quesadilla at the same time, and using carne asada as the filling made sure you didn’t forget it was still a quesadilla. This recipe is for the third episode of my summer youtube series which you can watch below!
Grill the carne asada on high heat to brown on the outside and retain a medium doneness on the inside.
Put the dough on an oiled grill for only one minute on the first side.
Fill with cheese, jalapenos, and thin sliced steak.
More cheese on top.
Fold it over.
And brown it really well on both sides.
Slice and serve! Lots of guac and pico.
This is so good. The bread get really crispy and the combo of grilled jalapeno and melty cheese is always a winner.
Make sure to watch the video above and like and subscribe to the channel for another episode of Grilling@ every Thursday this summer!
Carne Asada Pizzadilla
steak and marinade
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime juice
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 onion grated or minced
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- pizza dough
- monterey jack cheese
- mozzarella chese
- pico de gallo
- Mix all the marinade ingredients and pour over the sirloin tips. Allow to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough out as thin as possible.
- Grill the steak and jalapenos.
- Slice the steak and jalapenos
- Clean the grill and grease with an oiled rag. Turn the grill to low.
- Add the dough to the grill and cook about 30 seconds. Flip.
- Add a handful of both of the cheeses to one half of the dough. Top with some steak and jalapeno slices. Top with more cheese.
- Fold the dough over and press it nice and flat.
- Turn the grill to high and cok the pizzadilla on both sides to get brown.
- Remove from grill and serve with pico and guac.