Recipe sponsored by BUBBA Burger
When it’s so hot outside, I love doing bright refreshing burger toppings. My favorite dish this time of the year is watermelon feta salad, so I decided to put those flavors on a burger. I cut the watermelon nice and thick and tried to match it to the size of the burger to create a beautiful stack on the bun. I added some mint and quick pickled onions, and of course, SO MUCH FETA.
I used Angus BUBBA burgers for this recipe and the high quality meat really matched perfectly with the juicy watermelon and savory feta.
You can watch the video of me making the burgers here, or continue down for the recipe!
Cut the watermelon into a burger-sized piece.
Grill up the BUBBA Burgers until the juices collect at the top, then flip to brown on the other side.
Feta first, then some Korean chili flake.
I toasted the buns and added some oil and balsamic vinegar to them.
That huge slab of watermelon goes right on top of the feta.
Then add the pickled onions and some mint. So good!
Great fresh burgers for these hot mid summer days!
Watermelon Feta Burgers
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
- 1 small red onion sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teasoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic cut in half
- white vinegar
- 1 watermelon
- 7 or 8 oz brick of feta
- 2 brioche buns
- 15 mint leaves
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- pinch chili flakes I used Korean
- 2 angus BUBBA burgers or BUBBA burgers of your choice
- Mix the onion, garlic, salt, and sugar in a bowl or jar and pour vinegar over them until almost covered. Add a little water so they are covered by about an inch. Cover and store on the counter for an hour or two, or in the fridge overnight until ready to use.
- Cut the watermelon into 2 rounds, the same size as your buns. Cut the feta brick in half the long way so it can be placed on top of the burgers.
- Preheat grill or pan to medium heat.
- Toast the buns until golden brown. Drizzle some oil and balsamic vinegar onto the buns.
- Lightly season the burgers with salt and pepper. Grill the burgers on the first side, about 5 minutes, until the juices are collecting on top of the burger. Flip the burger and top with the feta and a little chili flake. Cover and cook another 5 minutes until the burgers are cooked through and the feta is soft.
- Build your burger starting with the bottom bun, then the burger and feta, then the watermelon, then the onions and mint. Add the top bun and serve.