Recipe sponsored by Smithfield Prime Fresh Lunch Meat. Check out Smithfield.com for more info.
As the weather starts to defrost here in Boston, I feel the need to get outside as much as possible. That includes picnicking, whether it is just bringing some snacks up to my roof or actually traveling with the food. I am always on the lookout for new portable foods, and for this one I took a page from an old classic. A Shooters Sandwich originated over 100 years ago in England and was invented specifically to be portable. The original version has steak and mushrooms, but I of course put my own spin on it with Prime Fresh Lunch Meat Turkey, a broccoli pesto, roasted red peppers, and goat cheese.
The key to this sandwich is that it is weighed down overnight to really firm up. I brought slices with me several times over a weekend and it held together perfectly!
The pesto I made was broccoli, toasted cashew, aged cheddar, garlic, and olive oil.
It came out great! Really flavorful and a nice match for the turkey.
Find a nice bread boule and slice the top quarter off.
Pull out the insides and brush the condiment on top. For this, I mixed mustard, hot sauce, and relish.
First layer is the meat. Remember you can find this in the refrigerated lunch meat section at the grocery store, and they have 6 different kinds.
Red peppers next, then cheese, and then pesto.
Then the top layer of turkey!
Put the top layer on and wrap it in parchment, then put something heavy on top and put it in the fridge overnight.
When it comes out of the fridge it is very compact and ready to travel.
Nice little cross section.
I really liked this take on a shooters sandwich. It had all the elements and flavors I need in a sandwich and was really easy to take on the road.
This is really my ideal picnic, something to drink, a few snacks, and a hearty sandwich and you are good to go!
Turkey, Goat Cheese, and Broccoli Pesto Shooter Style Sandwich
- 1 cup broccoli florets roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup toasted cashews
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 3 ounces aged cheddar cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup relish
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- large round bread boule
- 16 ounces Prime Fresh Turkey Lunch Meat 2 packages
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 roasted red pepper jarred or fresh
- Put the pesto ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Slice the top 1/4 off the bread. Hollow out the bread, remove the filling until it is mostly crust. (I made breadcrumbs with the bread middle)
- Brush the sauce all around the insides of the bread (including the lid!)
- Layer the first package of turkey on the bottom. Top with the roasted red pepper in an even layer.
- Spread the goat cheese on next, this step can be a little harder cause cause the goat cheese can be tough to work with and sticky.
- Spread the pesto on as the next layer. You may not use all of it.
- Top with the remaining turkey. If you have any extra turkey due to having a smaller bread, that’s ok because the Prime Fresh packages are re-sealable!
- Put the top back on the bread and wrap the sandwich with parchment. Put it in the fridge and put something heavy on top, I used a cast iron pot filled with random things from my fridge.
- The next day, remove the sandwich from the fridge and pack it up to travel. Slice in to triangles when you are ready to use.