As you may have seen before on my blog and in my book, I love a good Asian twist on a burrito. I recently was craving a Chinese takeout style burrito and decided to go with a sweet and sour chicken and broccoli version. I used a store bought sweet and sour sauce for this one, and it was just the flavors I was looking for.
Onion, pepper, and broccoli are the main ingredients, along with the chicken of course.
Let the chicken, onion, and pepper saute a bit, stir in the sauce.
After the chicken cooks down for a while, it becomes shreddable and tender. Stir in the broccoli and let it cook a bit longer.
Most of the other burrito ingredients were typical, like rice, beans, and some cojita cheese, but I also whipped up a simple cucumber and mint salsa that took these burritos to the next level!
Serve with chips and a refreshing beverage!
Shredding the chicken was a nice touch in this recipe because it really allows the sauce to permeate the meat and add much more flavor to the dish. The beans, rice, and cheese make it still feel like a burrito instead of a wrap, and the cucumber mint salsa gives it a bright refreshing finish!
Sweet and Sour Chicken and Broccoli Burritos
- 1/2 an english cucumber diced
- 20 mint leaves chopped
- 1/2 small clove garlic grated
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 lemon juiced
- salt and pepper
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 onion the remaining onion from the salsa
- 1 red pepper
- 1 cup store bought sweeet and sour sauce
- 1 small head broccoli chopped
- large tortillas
- prepared white rice
- black beans
- cojita cheese
- Mix the ingredients and allow to sit for 30 minutes before using
- Add the chicken to a hot large frying pan with oil and cook a few minutes on each side to lightly brown.
- Add the onion and pepper and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes to soften the veggies and continue to brown the chicken.
- Add the sweet and sour and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes until you are able to shred the chicken with a fork and flat wooden spoon.
- Shred all of the chicken into large shreds.
- Add the broccoli and cook 5 minutes until cooked to your desired tenderness.
- Microwave the tortilla for 10 seconds
- Place onto a piece of foil
- Add rice, then beans, then the chicken mixture.
- Top with cojita and salsa.
- Roll up the burrito, and quickly roll the foil around it to help secure the tortilla.
- Serve with chips!