This is one of those recipes that has been kicking around in my head for a long time but something felt like it was missing so I never actually made it. I realized marinating the chicken would create the flavors I wanted, so I finally went with it. The spices in the chicken tikka actually pair really well with the creamy cheese.
Most good curries and cheesesteaks actually start with the same thing, deeply caramelized onions. I added cauliflower towards the end of cooking.
After the chicken cooks and basically forms a light sauce, the veggies go back in the pan.
Then cheese! And lots of it. To me the number one mistake of a bad cheesesteak is not mixing the cheese in with the meat.
Yup. Why wouldn’t you mix the cheese right in?
Serve with lime wedges and sliced scallions. Is it bad that I ate several of these? Spicy, tangy, and super cheesy!
The crunchy cauliflower really adds a freshness to the dish.
Spicy Chicken Tikka Cheesesteaks
Chicken and marinade
- 1.5 pounds thinly sliced chicken breast
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 2 large onions
- 2 jalapenos sliced
- 2 cup broken up cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 cups shredded jack cheese
- sub rolls
- chopped scallions and jalapenos
- Toss the chicken with the garam masala, termeric, cumin, and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper and allow to rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Add the onions to a pan with some oil or butter and simmer on medium low heat for about 30 minutes until very browned.
- Add the jalapeno and cauliflower and cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook 2 more minutes. Pour contents of the pan into a bowl and save for later.
- Return the pan to high heat and add a little oil if needed. Add the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring, to brown. Add the vinegar to deglaze the pan, scraping the browned bits from the bottom.
- Add the onion cauliflower mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Continue stirring in the pan until melted.
- Serve the chicken mixture in the rolls and top with scallions and jalapeno.