RumChata Chicken Tacos
This recipe is sponsored by RumChata
When the subtle spices and creamy flavors in RumChata were screaming to me – “Make me into a marinade!”, I had no choice but to listen. Grilling season is in full swing here and I am personally trying to make the most of it, cooking about 80% of my meals outside. I was craving a grilled take on a classic chicken tinga, a stewed shredded chicken dish that is a common filling for tacos and burritos, and the RumChata marinade worked perfectly.
To pair with the spice profile in the RumChata, I added some cumin and coriander, along with some smoky chipotle peppers and grated garlic. The chicken came out tender, juicy, and super flavorful! I paired it with a coconut RumChata cooler and it was a great way to spend a sunny afternoon in the backyard.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs are soaked in RumChata, garlic, cumin, coriander, and chipotle peppers in adobo.
Then grilled at a high heat to brown and cook through. I used a plancha for this, but feel free to put the chicken directly on the grill if you don’t have one.
Make sure you get some good caramelization on the chicken because the sugar from the RumChata adds some really nice flavor when it gets a little blackened. When the chicken is done, shred it up in a bowl with a fresh shot of RumChata.
The tacos have some pico, cotija, and avocados to go with the shredded chicken. Soft corn tortillas will go best with these flavors.
Serve with some lime to add a fresh tartness to the tacos.
Check out RumChata’s YouTube and RumChata’s Facebook Page for more recipe and drink inspiration!
Coconut RumChata Cooler
one part RumChata
one part vodka
two parts coconut milk
one drop maple syrup
one small squeeze of lime
Start with the vodka, RumChata, coconut milk, and syrup in a shaker and shake vigorously until it’s cold and foamy. Add a few drops of lime juice and give it one last shake. Fill glasses with ice and strain the cocktail over the ice.
*Note – You have to be careful with lime and RumChata. Because RumChata uses fresh cream, there is always a concern that it will curdle with the addition of any acidity.
RumChata Chicken Tacos
Chicken and Marinade
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup RumChata plus 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the chipotle can
- salt and pepper
- pico de gallo
- crumbled cojita cheese
- sliced avocado
- corn tortillas charred on the grill
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add the chicken. Allow to marinate for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill or cast iron pan to high. Sear the chicken to lightly brown on all sides. Turn heat to low and cook for another 15 minutes until chicken is tender and falling apart.
- Place chicken in a bowl and add the reserved tablespoons of RumChata. Stir well and allow the chicken to shred.
- Build the tacos with the tortillas first, then the chicken, then the pico, cheese, and avocado. Serve.