Shepherds Pie Ramen
October 24, 2017
Whether it's the end of a long day of work, the first nights of the season where the temperature drops, or just a general run down feeling, ramen is my go-to medicine. All it takes is one text to my girlfriend. “I think today calls for some ramen” and we are immediately deciding which of our favorite ramen spots to hit up.
Last week I was thinking about what I could mash-up my favorite bowl of comfort with, and I realized that Shepherds Pie, another comfort favorite of mine, would fit perfectly in the soup. With these two dishes combined, I knew this would pack the punch I needed to feel better after a long week!
I used O Organics® products in this recipe that I purchased from my local Star Market, so I knew that this dish would not only nourish my soul but also be good for my body! The O Organics line is available in my area exclusively at Star Market, and is a great affordable option for clean eating.
Cook the beef first then remove it from the pan. Onions, carrots, and celery are next. The beef goes back in along with some stock, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. After the soup simmers a bit, add in spinach. Just like shepherd's pie has potatoes on top, so does this ramen. Make the mashed potatoes and stir in an egg and some breadcrumbs before frying up the potato cakes. For me, no ramen is complete without the egg on top. All the ingredients of a good shepherds pie, served in soup form with ramen noodles and a little Asian flair! The soup broth has such a deep savory flavor from the onions, carrots, beef, soy sauce, and vinegar. I also added a little chile paste to give it a kick. One of the best parts about shopping at Star Market is being able to buy all the ingredients for Shepherds pie and ramen under one roof. In the past I would have had to go to multiple stores to get decent chile paste and ramen noodles. Make sure you dip the potato into the yolk!If you don’t live near a Star Market, you can also find O Organics at all Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Shaw’s, United Express, United and Carrs/Safeway.
Shepherds Pie Ramen
- Potato Cake
- 3 Potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch peices
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- Shepherds Pie Ramen
- 1 Pound O Organics ground beef
- 2 Carrots diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 ribs Celery diced
- 2 inches Ginger grated
- 1 quart O Organics chicken stock
- 1 quart O Organics beef stock
- 1/2 cup instant miso paste
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup sambol chile paste
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 5 ears Corn roasted and kernals removed
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 10 ounces Japanese curly noodles cooked, drained, and set aside
- 4 fried eggs
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Strain. Mash the potatoes with the butter and milk. Season to taste and set aside to cool
- Stir the egg and breadcrumbs into the potatoes. Form patties. Fry on each side in a little olive oil to brown. Remove from heat.
- Cook the beef on high heat to brown. Remove from pan.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook about 10 minutes to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook 2 minutes.
- Add in the stocks, miso, vinegar, soy, and chile paste. Return the beef to the pot. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the corn and spinach and stir to combine.
- In each bowl, add some of the cooked ramen. Ladle the soup over the noodles. Top with an egg and the potato cake and serve.