Deep dish pizza that has lasagna as the filling. Layers and layers of pasta, cheese, and a meaty sauce, all wrapped in a soft buttery crust.
- pizza dough linked above
- 1 pound malfade pasta
- 2 cups meaty tomato sauce
- 1 cup Ricotta
- 1 cup Grated Parm
- 2 cups shredded low moisture mozzarella
- 10 slices Provolone
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick.
- Grease a springform pan
- Put the dough into the pan and press into the corners. Cut off excess dough.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water about 3 minutes less than the package says. You want it to still have a bite to it.
- Add sauce to the bottom of the pizza first, then lay out the pasta. All 4 cheeses next. Then repeat until you have 4 layers.
- For the top layer of pasta, place about 6 noodles on the pizza horizontally. Fold half of them over at the center and place a noodle vertical. Unfold the pasta so you end up with every other piece of pasta going over or under the vertical peice. Continue to form the lattice top. Check video to see more on how to do this.
- Brush on an extremly light coating of sauce (just the thin liquid from the sauce, no chunks) and sprinkle on a small amount of parm.
- Bake at 400 for 45 minutes until the dough is cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the springform pan. Cut and serve. You may need scissors to cut the crunchy noodles on top.
When I originally had the idea to fill a deep dish pizza with lasagna, two things came to mind immedietly. One, I needed to do this in a springform pan because it had to be very deep dish. Two, I needed to get thin lasagna noodles so that I could make a cross hatch on top, because I have been saying for years, deep dish pizza is actually a pie. I had to special order this pasta called mafalde, but it was totally worth it!
When I make deep dish I always use this recipe from Macheesmo/ATK