Indian Smoked Ribs
These ribs are rubbed with a garam masala, smoked for 3 hours, and then slathered with a vindaloo inspired BBQ sauce.
- 1/2 Cup Garam Masala
- 2 racks St Louis Style Ribs
- 1/2 Cup Mustard
- Wood Chips
- 2 Large Onions (diced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Inch Ginger (minced)
- 1 Jalapeno (diced)
- 3 Tomatoes (diced)
- 1/4 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Red Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- Make the ribs - Brush the ribs with the mustard and then liberally coat with the garam masala and also salt. Smoke the ribs at 250 for about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Cook the onions until very browned, about 45 minutes. Add in the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and cook 2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, molasses, and garam masala. Cook about 15 minutes until the tomatoes are softened. Blend until smooth.
- Brush the ribs with the sauce and finish them on the grill to brown. Serve with more sauce and a little cilantro.
Even though I don’t want to open a restaurant, I always say that if I ever did, it would be Indian flavors mixed with Southern BBQ. I have made some recipes we would serve there, and this is a new addition to the non-existent menu. The garam masala spices and vindaloo inspired sauce really pair so well with the tender smokey pork. I made these with that spicy mac and cheese I posed the other day and it was a perfect summer Sunday with some friends.
Brush the ribs first with a little mustard, just to help the spices stick.
Let the ribs sit at room temperature with the spices for about a half hour as the grill or smoker heats up. Check out my guide for making your own spice blends if you want to go in that direction.
The ribs smoke for about 3 hours.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. Some onions are cooked to very browned, then ginger, garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes, and spices go in.
Smokey and tender, with a nice spice.
We also had some corn… but who cares?
Slather that sauce on.
A little sauce on the side, and a sprinkle of cilantro finish it off.
Hearty and satisfying! These will be a big hit at my Indian smokehouse that will never exist!