Recipe Sponsored by BUBBA Burger
I get why bacon is the most popular burger topping, but for me, it rarely enhances the burger experience. I want my burger toppings to make the burger itself better, and bacon just doesn’t do it for me. Pork belly on the other hand, the very ingredient that bacon is made from, is something I would put on a burger any day of the week. Something about the perfectly tender thick and juicy texture just works.
This is my last recipe of the summer with BUBBA Burger and I really wanted to pull out all the stops. I smothered this burger in cheesy and creamy jalapeno grits, and then topped it with a thick slab of tender pork belly that was cooked in a tangy and spicy BBQ sauce. I don’t throw around the word epic a lot with my recipes, but I can’t think of a word that would better describe these burgers.
I want to take a minute to thank BUBBA burger for working with me this summer. I had so much fun coming up with all the recipes and pushing myself to think about burgers in new and creative ways. I hope everyone enjoyed these recipes as much as I did!
Cooking pork belly might feel intimidating, but the method I use is really easy! Just put it into a pan and pour a cooking liquid over it, then bake at 300 for about 2 hours, flipping once or twice during cooking.
You end up with really flavorful slabs of super tender pork. The fat melts in your mouth!
The other main topping for this burger is cheesy jalapeno grits. I started by sautéing some jalapeno in butter, then adding milk, stock, and the grits.
After cooking for about 20 minutes, stir in the cheese. Keep it nice and warm until you are ready to use it, adding a little milk or water if it gets too thick.
Once everything is ready, it’s time to cook the burgers.
I put a sauce made from bbq sauce and mayo on the buns first, then the burgers, then the grits.
Then that amazing pork, followed by a few fresh jalapeno slices.
This is my favorite burger I have made this summer! The creamy sauce is a great way to deliver extra cheese in a unique way, and the tangy bbq pork belly is a perfect burger topping. The little bit of cooked and raw jalapeno bring a nice background heat to balance out the sweetness in the sauces. Amazing!
Pork Belly and Cheesy Jalapeno Grits Burgers
- 2 pounds boneless slices of pork belly
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sambol chili paste
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup medium grind grits or cornmeal
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar
- 4 BUBBA Burgers
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 poppy seed rolls
- sliced jalapenos
- Make the pork - Lay the pork belly on a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 300. Mix all the other ingredients in a measuring cup and pour it over the pork- It should come about half way up the sides of the meat slices. Bake for about 2 hours, flipping once or twice, until the meat is tender and browned on both sides.
- Make the grits - Add the butter to a sauce pan on medium high heat. Add the diced jalapeno and cook for 3 minutes. Add in the milk and stock and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the grits and turn heat to a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes, adding more milk or some water if the mixture is too thick. Remove from heat and add in the cheese. Stir until melted. Hold over low heat until ready to use, stirring occasionally and adding milk or water if it gets too thick.
- Make the burgers - On a grill or in a frying pan preheated to medium high, cook the burgers on the first side until the juices start to pool at the top, about 8 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until cooked through, another 5 or so minutes.
- Mix the mayo and bbq sauce in a bowl. Toast the buns and coat them with the sauce. Top the bottom bun with the burger first, then the grits, then 2 large slabs of pork, a few jalapeno slices, and then the top bun. Serve.