This is quite an indulgent sandwich! I was craving a cheesesteak and was unsure what I was going to make with it, when I saw the mortadella in the deli staring at me begging me to purchase it and put it in the sandwich. It adds such a deep deliciousness to the cheesesteak that something like ham or bacon or other pork options wouldn’t really bring in the same way.
Besides the mortadella though, this was a pretty standard cheesesteak for me. Thin sliced steak I get from an Asian grocery store, because the saved steak at the American store is a little too thin for me. I like to use the kind that is meant for hot pot, and you can usually choose your type of meat. A good blend is ribeye and brisket in my humble opinion.
Then some nicely caramelized onions, banana peppers, and some cheese. This time I used a combo of provolone and jack.
I cooked the onions first, removed them from the pan, then the steak and set that aside as well. Finally I added the mortadella to brown it a bit, and tossed everything else back in the pan.
Mix in the cheese, then top it with the sandwich bread for a few minutes to let all the cheese melt. Get in there with a spatula and flip everything out of the pan and into the bun!
I would describe this sandwich as absurdly delicious, or even pure unadulterated deliciousness. The browned and crispy bits of steak and mortadella are really where the magic lives. All the super savory and sweet onion goodness is the backbone of the sandwich, and the little bites of sour/spicy banana peppers provide just the right contrast to cut the heaviness of the sandwich.
A Quick note before we get to the recipe –
I’m excited to be one of Google’s paid early testers for their Thank with Google pilot program! You may have noticed that little blue button that has a heart and says “Thanks” at the top of this post. That is part of an experimental new feature that allows you to purchase a virtual sticker and directly show your appreciation for the content on my website!
I have been a creator for over 14 years now, and everything about what I do changes constantly. It’s really cool that Google has created this new way for my fans to show their support of my work directly and tell me which content they value most!
The buttons are at the top and bottom of this post, and the way it works is you can choose a paid sticker and send me a personal message. You can even try it out for free if you want. Try it out and let me know what you think! As always, thank you so much for your support.
- 2 large onions sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pound shaved ribeye steak
- 1/4 pound sliced mortadella
- 1/2 cup chopped banana peppers
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices jack cheese
- 2 large sub rolls
- Cook the onions in the butter for about 35 minutes until deeply browned. Remove from pan.
- In batches of a few slices at a time, add the steak to the pan and break it up with your utensils in the pan as it cooks. Once cooked, slide it to the edge of the pan and continue adding more, until you have cooked it all. Remove from the pan.
- Add the mortadella to the pan and cook to brown on the edges. Break it up as it cooks. Add the steak back in and mix everything together.
- Add in the onions and continue to mix it all together. Add in the banana peppers.
- Stir in the cheeses briefly, but stop when they start getting stringy and melted. Form the shape of the two sandwiches with the meat.
- Open the bun and place it on the meat. Allow to cook about 1 minute. Slide the spatula under the meat, grab the bread, and flip the sandwich out onto your hand. Enjoy!