Cook the pasta and put it back into the pot with milk, cheese, and pasta water. Then just stir it up until it is nice and creamy. Ugh, peeling hard boiled eggs can be really annoying. Get the yolks into the pasta with some chives and paprika. I used a melon baller to make pasta balls that were simmilar to the egg yolk hole, but after I did a few I ended up just using my hands. I first stuffed the yolks lightly just to get things going and then I topped them all off. Beautiful. A bacon sail on top makes these things perfect! This recipe makes way too much mac and cheese but the porpotions work out well and the extra mac and cheese is great for lunch the next day. And the next day. These things are a perfect melding of mac and cheese and also deviled eggs. They taste like both things and neither one overpowers! They meet right in the middle. The bacon rounds things out and adds that familiar bacon egg and cheese dynamic.
Mac and Cheese Deviled Eggs
Mac and cheese stuffed into a deviled egg with all the usual deviled egg flavors.
Servings: 16 deviled eggs
- 8 jumbo eggs hardboiled
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- cooked bacon
- This recipe makes way way more pasta than you need, but the ratio is good with the egg yolks and it makes sense to do this amount. The pasta is really tasty to eat on it’s own as leftovers so it shouldn’t be a problem having the extra mac and cheese.
- Boil the pasta until it still has a bite to it and strain, reserving about a half cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta back to the pan and add the milk, butter, and a splash of the pasta water. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the cheese in a few batches. Remove from heat and stir until the cheese is fully melted and the pasta looks coated in a thick sauce. If it looks too thick, add another splash of pasta water, but remember it will thicken as it cools.
- Peel the eggs and cut in half. Remove the yolks and add to the pasta. Also stir the chives, mustard, and paprika into the pasta. If it looks to dry you can heat it lightly again.
- Scoop the pasta into the egg cavities and mound it up so it is really full and looks like a nice heaping deviled egg. Top with a small piece of bacon, and garnish with more chives and paprika.