A ravioli within a ravioli within a ravioli within a ravioli. I really wanted to go 5 layers deep but at that point the structural integrity of the ravioli would have totally fallen apart. I debated calling this russian doll ravioli, and also nested ravioli, but inception ravioli was the overall winner amongst the 4 or 5 people I surveyed. What, y’all didn’t think I did focus groups?
Lots of cheese! I made two fillings for this, one with parm, ricotta, and mozzarella, and the other was the same cheese mixture with chopped parsley and basil mixed in.
I started out with really tiny ravioli with the herb filling.
Then they just kept getting bigger! You have to cook each ravioli layer as you go because because the dough in the middle wouldn’t get cooked otherwise. The layers are way too dense!
I alternated between the plain and herby fillings so that you would be able to see the difference in the final product. I was also having fun on snapchat.
Boil the huge ravioli and then put it right into the sauce.
It’s fun having one huge ravioli on a plate.
It’s best to slice into this thing like a pie.
What a crazy dish. It’s sort of like a cross between ravioli and lasagna. Hmm, maybe I should make lasagna ravioli next?
You can really see the layers in this one!
I used a more simple marinara recipe for the sauce but you could also use this grandmother style meat sauce if you prefer. And here is my recipe for fresh pasta.
A ravioli within a ravioli within a ravioli within a ravioli. 4 layers of ravioli goodness.
Servings: 3 people
- 2 cups ricotta
- 2.5 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated parm
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- tomato sauce
- fresh pasta
- Mix the cheeses in a large bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Remove half of the cheese mix and place it in a smaller bowl. Mix the herbs into the cheese mix in the large bowl.
- Roll out the pasta dough as instructed in the link above. Make your first ravioli small using the herb mixture as the filling. Boil for 4 minutes until tender.
- Place some of the plain cheese mixture onto a sheet of pasta and press it to make it thin. Put the cooked ravioli on top. Press more cheese around it to conceal, but keep it very thin so you dont end up with huge ravioli right off the bat.
- Wrap the pasta around the cheese to form the 2nd layer ravioli. Boil this and repeat until you reach the 4th layer alternating the filling mixture along the way.
- Finally boil your huge ravioli and toss it into the tomato sauce right away. Let it simmer in the sauce for a few minutes so the inside is able to heat through. Serve with extra sauce.
I feel full just looking at this!!
I feel full but it’s because I am eating the leftovers of this right now.