This post is sponsored by Let’s Grab a Beer
Barley is the unsung hero of beer. Everyone wants to talk about hops these days, but what about the barley? When it comes to cooking, barley isn’t the most common ingredient to use in recipes. You mostly see it used in soups or breads. I wanted to do a fresh and modern recipe that showcased barley and paired it with a nice barley or malt forward beer.
A big bowl of cooked barley
Basil, jalapeno, and cucumber are added. The sauce above is sambal, garlic, ginger, honey, fish sauce, lime juice, and rice vinegar.
Grilled corn finishes off the salad
Dress the salad, plate it, and top with the shrimp. Then add a little of the dressing to the top if the shrimp. (PS follow me on Snapchat)
This is an amazing bright and fresh recipe that is perfect for your next grilling session!
It was super spicy, but if you take the seeds out of the jalapeno, and use one instead of two like I did, it will be a little more balanced.
This is the kind of meal I could eat every day in the summer.
For more fun facts about barley, beer and fun times please visit letsgraba.beer
Grilled Shrimp with a Chile-Basil Barley Salad
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 2 limes
- olive oil
- 2 jalapenos diced and seeds removed
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 20 basil leaves chopped
- 5 ears corn
- 1/4 cup sambol
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 15 shrimp large shrimp – shell on
- Bring a salted pot of water to a simmer. Add the barley and simmer on low until tender, about a half hour.
- Strain the barley and toss with a little olive oil and the juice from one of the limes. Allow to cool.
- Mix the jalapeno, cucumber, and basil with the barley.
- Grill the corn on high heat to char.
- Cut the corn off the cobs. Mix the corn into the barley.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together – the sambol, honey, fish sauce, vinegar, juice from the second lime, and grated garlic and ginger.
- Pour the sauce over the barley and mix well, reserve a small amount of the sauce to top the shrimp.
- Grill the shrimp with the shells on to char.
- Plate the barley salad and top each plate with 5 shrimp. Spoon some sauce over the shrimp and serve.