So excited to be back with a new season of my YouTube cooking show [email protected]! I wanted to do something different than last year, so I decided to push the show into the Fall instead of Summer to feature different types of dishes and more tailgating themed episodes.
Episode 1 is inspired by the recent chicken sandwich craze on social media. I tried to make a fried style chicken sandwich on the grill by using tortilla chips as the crunchy coating. Scroll down for the recipe and to watch the video!
The marinade is chipotle, pickle juice, mustard, and garlic. After it marinates a bit, add in the egg.
Then add the chips. Get them nice and stuck to the chicken and let it sit about 10 minutes to firm up before tossing them on the grill.
Grill to brown on both sides being careful not to loose too much of the chip coating.
Chipotle mayo down first, then the pickles.
They came out so good! They were crunchy, spicy and salty, and really satisfied the craving.
Check out the video below for more!
Grilled Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 2 small chicken breasts trimmed to fit the bun
- 1 can chipotles in adobo
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 egg
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips make sure they are crushed well, I used a food processor
- 1 cup thin sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thin sliced red cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper thin sliced
- 1 carrot julienne peeled
- 3 scallions thin sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime juice
- 2 buns
- 8 spicy pickles
- Mix the chipotles, pickle and pepperoncini juices, garlic, honey, mustard and salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Take about 1/2 cup of it and mix it with the mayo. Set aside in the fridge. Take the rest and pour it over the chicken. Set aside in the fridge to marinade for 1 – 2 hours but not much longer than that.
- Meanwhile, mix the slaw ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and the lime juice and set aside in the fridge.
- Add the egg to the chicken and mix well to combine. Pour off excess liquid. Add the chips to the chicken and stir to coat. Place the chicken on a plate or rack, pressing the topping into the chicken to make sure it is stuck well. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to help the chips stick.
- Preheat the grill and grill the chicken about 6 minutes per side until browned and cooked through. Make sure the grill is well oiled to prevent sticking, and be gentle when flipping the chicken.
- Toast the buns if needed. Start with some of the mayo on the bottom bun then add the pickles. Top with the chicken, then some slaw, then more mayo, then the top bun.