Recipe Sponsored by BUBBA Burger
As a kid, my favorite summer time treat was fried dough. Anytime my family would go to a beach or a fair, the fried dough stand was the number one spot on my list. My sisters would get it covered in powdered sugar, but my favorite was with a sweet tomato sauce and parmesan cheese.
For the official start of grilling season this year, I was inspired to make a burger out of this classic summertime treat. I decided to top it with the sauce, parm, AND powdered sugar, because I am an adult now and can do what I want.
This is the first recipe from my partnership with BUBBA Burger and I am thrilled to be working with them again this summer! The 4lb burger box is in stores just in time for your Memorial Day party! I will be streaming some fun burger ideas this Thursday, so let me know what crazy burger ideas you have and I might make it on the stream.
Store bought or homemade dough will work. Make sure you measure the burger patty so you can make these fried dough buns the exact right size to fit the burger perfectly.
Then fry the dough on both sides until puffy and golden.
Allow to rest while you make the burger
Cook the burger for about 8 minutes per side. Wait until you see the red juices pooling on top of the burger before you flip it for the first time. Make sure you cover the grill or pan as you cook it.
Choose the dough rounds that look most like top and bottom buns before you start. Add some sauce to the bottom bun, along with grated parm, then the burger, then more sauce and parm. After you put the top bun on, sprinkle on a little powdered sugar!
This gave me such good memories of going to the fair as a kid! The fried dough was a perfect vehicle for that juicy delicious BUBBA Burger!
The sauce and cheese balanced with that little bit of sweetness from the sugar so every bite was a trip to the fair.
Remember to grab your 4lb party box of BUBBA Burgers this week so you can make all the burgers this weekend!
Fried Dough Burger
- 1 batch pizza dough homemade or store bought
- oil for frying
- 4 BUBBA Burgers
- 1 cup tomato sauce store bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese
- 4 slices provolone
- powdered sugar
- Allow the dough to come to room temperature and roll out flat 4 inch rounds of dough. Brush with oil and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Bring about 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees in a frying pan.
- Fry the dough in batches, about 2 minutes per side, until puffy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill or frying pan to medium high heat. Add the bubba burgers and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 6-8 minutes covered, until the juices begin to collect on top of the burger. Flip and cook another 4 minutes, then add the provolone cheese on top. Continue to cook until the cheese is melted and the burger is cooked through.
- Warm the sauce in the microwave or on the stovetop in a pan. Place the bottom buns down and add some sauce, followed by some grated cheese.
- Top the bottom buns with the burgers, then add more sauce and grated cheese.
- Top with the top buns. Add some powdered sugar to a mesh strainer and gently dust the tops of the burgers with the sugar. Serve!