We all know that chicken skin is the bacon of chicken. This is something we all know right? Using this logic I decided it would be fun to make some jalapeno poppers wrapped in chicken skin. For the flavor profile, I went with buffalo chicken, mainly just by adding some hot sauce and blue cheese to the mixture. These poppers have intense and awesome flavor from only a few ingredients! They are a unique mashup of a few of my favorite foods and are a perfect finger food for your next party.
Whole chicken legs are pretty affordable and the best way to get a nice solid piece of skin and a good amount of meat for the filling.
Cook the chicken in a pan with butter and hot sauce after you remove the skin.
When the chicken is done, shred it up along with some of the sauce from the pan and crumbled blue cheese.
Then wrap the pepper with that skin!
Bake at 450 for about 20 minutes.
These came out super crispy and stayed that way for over an hour. The hot sauce and blue cheese give them a strong flavor in each small bite.
The skin itself really flavors the whole popper
I’m ready to start wrapping more things in chicken skin!
Watch the recipe video below!
Crispy Chicken Skin Jalapeno Poppers
- 2 whole chicken legs drumstick and thigh attached
- 6 jalapenos
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup cayenne sauce
- 4 ounces blue cheese
- Peel the skin off the chicken legs all in one piece.
- Add the chicken to a frying pan with the butter and cayenne sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice each chicken skin into 6 long strips. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice the jalapenos in half the long way keeping the stem in tact. Remove the insides.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and shred it up. Add about half the liquid from the pan to the shredded chicken, as well as the blue cheese, and stir well.
- Pack the chicken into the jalapenos. Wrap the jalapenos with the chicken skin. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes until the chicken is crisp.