I’ve had the best summer of my life and it’s all because of you and the opportunities that this blog has given me and I couldn’t be more grateful. I went to Nashville, Jackson Hole Wyoming, Yellowstone in Montana, A cabin in the woods in Idaho, Cincinnati, Martha’s Vineyard, Lake Champlain in Vermont, Manhattan, Sacramento, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, and San Diego. I ate lamb cooked on an open fire, lunch in the middle of a barley farm, jet black ice cream, a street hot dog at 2am, a perfectly crafted Manhattan at thirty thousand feet, and countless lobster rolls, tater tots, and tacos. I somehow found time to write a cookbook. The final tally of different ice cream shops vs. breweries visited for the entire summer was 13 breweries and 12 ice cream shops. I made lots of great new friends at home and away, and strengthened old bonds, even meeting up with a friend I hadn’t seen in over 15 years.
I was thinking about all of this as I sat on the beach a few days ago with a friend eating this pasta salad. Life is crazy. Who knows what’s next. Cheers to Summer 16.
Coconut Chicken Broccoli Pasta Salad
- 1 pound linguini
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sambol garlic chile paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 5 limes plus more
- 1/2 head purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 small head broccoli chopped small
- 1 large chicken breast cooked with salt and pepper and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 bunch chopped scallion
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- The night before, cook the pasta and strain. Immediately mix in a bowl with the coconut milk, soy sauce, sambol, sesame oil, and the juice from the limes.
- Add the cabbage and broccoli and stir to combine.
- Add in the chicken and stir. Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
- Add the herbs and peanuts. You will notice the coconut milk has thickened. Add a splash of oil and the juice of a lime to loosen it up as needed.
- Pack and chill until serving.