I love a good pasta salad. It’s pretty much my go to all summer long for an easy and satisfying side dish. I don’t mess with those over-mayoed versions though. They are fun for when you are out at a BBQ restaurant or at your aunt’s house for the 4th of July, but when I am making a pasta salad I like to get more creative. This version has cherries and kale, one sweet and one bitter, to play off of each other and create a great overall flavor for the dish.
Cherry Kale Salami Ditalini Pasta Salad
- 1 pound ditalini pasta
- 1 bunch purple kale
- 2 cups cherries
- 3 ounces salami
- 1/4 cup banana peppers chopped
- 1/4 cup juice from banana pepper jar
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- salt crushed red pepper
- Bring the pasta water to a boil and drop the pasta.
- Pit the cherries and chop them
- Remove the kale from the stems and chop small. Add the kale to a bowl and massage with your fingers for 3 minutes until tender and wilted.
- Chop the salami. Add the salami and cherries to the bowl with the kale along with everything else.
- Strain the pasta and add it immediately to the bowl with all the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.