I have been really into pot-stickers lately, not sure why. I thought of the idea of putting bratwurst in them and got really excited cause the name bratsticker worked so well. I filled them with sauerkraut and cheddar cheese along with the sausage, and steamed them with beer after searing the bottoms. For a sauce, I used some mustard, but also mixed sour cream with soy sauce and sriracha and it drove home the tailgate-Asian mash-up.
Sausage, sauerkraut, and cheddar.
Brush a little egg wash to help the wrapper seal.
Fill and fold.
Brown the bottoms, then add beer and cover to steam.
Tasty little guys.
One sauce is mustard, and the other is a sour cream, soy sauce, and sriracha mix.
I love these! A tailgate in a bite. The sausage is sweet and savory and goes so well with the sauerkraut. I wasn’t sure if the cheese would work in here but it actually fits in perfectly.
- 1 pound bratwurst
- 1 cup sauerkraut drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 20 wonton wrappers
- chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- more soy sauce
- Remove the bratwurst from the sausage casing and cook in a hot pan for about 7 – 8 minutes to brown and cook through. Add the sauerkraut and cook another few minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Stir the cheese into the sausage mixture.
- Beat the egg with a splash of water. Brush a thin strip of egg onto 2 out of the 4 sides of the wonton wrapper.
- Add the sausage mixture to the wonton wrapper and fold the dry sides over on to the egg washed sides. Seal and remove as much air as possible. Set aside and repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Mix the sour cream with the soy sauce and sriracha.
- Cook the pot stickers on high heat on a lightly oiled pan. After the bottom has browned, add about a cup of water to the pan and cover it to let the pot-stickers steam the rest of the way.
- Remove the pot stickers from the pan and put them on a serving platter.
- Top the wantons with scallions, the sour cream mixture, and mustard, and serve with additional soy sauce on the side.