January is traditionally the time for healthy eating, but for me it’s one of the hardest times to accomplish this goal. In the summer you can throw some veggies in a bowl call it dinner, but when it’s cold out, you just want to eat something warm and comforting. For this salad I took some notes from a summer salad with fresh tastes like ginger, lemon, and cucumber to contrast with the hearty root veggies, quinoa, and kale. The balance was perfect. This recipe makes a huge batch that is great for snacking on all week!
Beet Quinoa Salad
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 1 bunch scallions thin sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 lemons juiced
- 2 tablespoons red vinegar
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 14 ounces black beans strain and rinse
- 2 beets diced
- 1 yam diced
- 1 bunch kale stems removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 thai chiles
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Cook the quinoa in a pot of water that is just barely simmering. Strain when tender but the germ ring is still attached. Mix it with the scallions, cilantro, lemon juice, red vinegar, cucumber, red pepper, and black beans.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and add the beets and yam. Cook on medium for about 30 minutes stirring often. Cook until tender. Add in the kale and cook 2 minutes.
- Add in the ginger, garlic, chiles, cumin, and curry. Stir and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the beet mixture to the quinoa and stir well. Drizzle on some additional olive oil before serving.