This post is sponsored by letsgraba.beer
Barbacoa is that tasty shredded beef everyone loves from their favorite local burrito shop. But you know what this dish needed? BEER. Today is national beer day, so I thought it would be fun to add beer and call it beer-bacoa! My rule with new food ideas is that if the name can combine in a clever way then the recipe will probably work. And work it did! These tacos were spicy, super tender, and oozing with beer flavor.
Seared meat, in with some cooked onions and jalapenos.
In goes the beer!
After 4 hours is looks like this! YESSSSSSS.
I like serving these with a simple slaw that has some sour cream and sriracha in it, but if you want to go the more common salsa, cheese, lettuce route, they will still be amazing.
Serve with some of the beer that you cooked it with! Mine was a crisp american lager.
- 2.5 pounds beef top round
- 2 onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 beers
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- taco shells to serve
- Slice the top round into smaller chunks if needed. Sear the meat on high heat with some oil to brown. Remove from pot.
- Add the onions and cook about 10 minutes. Add the jalapenos and cook another 5-7 minutes to soften the jalapenos and allow the onions to lightly brown. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the beer and return the meat to the pan. Add in the chipotle, cumin, oregano, vinegar, and honey. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook about 4 hours stirring often. Cover for the first 2 hours, and then remove the cover to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Meanwhile, spice the cabbage thin and mix with the other ingredients. Allow to sit an hour before using.
- When the meat is ready, mash it up with a potato masher. It should be tender enough to fall apart.
- Cook the tortillas in a hot pan on both sides until brown spots appear.
- Add some meat to the tortilla, and top with the slaw. Serve.