Cherries, kale, and salami combine in this unique and light pasta salad that is the perfect side for any summer BBQ.
- 1 Pound Ditalini Pasta
- 1 Bunch Purple Kale
- 2 Cups Cherries
- 3 Ounces Salami
- 1/4 Cup Banana Peppers (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Juice from Banana Pepper Jar
- 1/4 Cup Mustard
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Mayo
- Salt, Crushed Red Pepper
- Bring the pasta water to a boil and drop the pasta.
- Pit the cherries and chop them
- Remove the kale from the stems and chop small. Add the kale to a bowl and massage with your fingers for 3 minutes until tender and wilted.
- Chop the salami. Add the salami and cherries to the bowl with the kale along with everything else.
- Strain the pasta and add it immediately to the bowl with all the rest of the ingredients. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.
I love a good pasta salad. It’s pretty much my go to all summer long for an easy and satisfying side dish. I don’t mess with those over-mayoed versions though. They are fun for when you are out at a BBQ restaurant or at your aunt’s house for the 4th of July, but when I am making a pasta salad I like to get more creative. This version has cherries and kale, one sweet and one bitter, to play off of each other and create a great overall flavor for the dish.