A perfect end of summer pasta dish with a sauce of fresh tomatoes, zucchini, and mussels.
- 5 Large Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Pound Lingunini
- 2 Pounds Mussels
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Ounces Chives
- 10 Pepperoncini Peppers
- 1/4 Cup Pepperoncini Juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Dice the tomatoes keeping all the insides. Chop the zucchini, thinly slice the garlic, chop up the pepperoncini into rings, and chop up the chives really thin.
- Clean the mussels really well and discard any that are open and don't seem alive or will close with a few taps.
- Bring some heavily salted water to a boil to cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic in some oil for about 2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and zucchini and bring to a simmer. Drop your pasta. When the pasta has about 3 minutes left add the mussels to the tomato pot. When the pasta is done add it to the pot with the mussels which should have now opened up. If any didn't open, you can toss them.
- Add the pepperoncini and pepperoncini juice to the pot and mix it up well. Remove from heat and add the chives. Stir and serve!
This time of the year at the grocery store for me, it goes tomato, zucchini repeat. Tomato, zucchini repeat. I wanted to make a simple and delicious pasta dish with this combo when some mussels caught my eye and the whole dish came together. This was a great pasta dish that was hearty yet fresh tasting after a long hot summer day. I just moved last week, so there was some less frequent posting in the past few weeks, but I will be back with a vengeance starting later next week and I have some really exciting stuff that I can’t wait to share with you guys! As always, follow along on twitter, instagram and snapchat (tfimb) for more frequent updates and behind the scenes stuff!
Make sure you grab some really fresh summer tomatoes.
Tomato and zucchini in the pan basically melt into a nice sauce after 15 minutes.
Mussels into the pan add that nice mussel juice element to the sauce. Some pepperoncini and chives go in as well.
Like I said, this was very satisfying after one of the hottest days in the year. It’s filling and hearty but also feels light at the same time.
The pepperoncini and chive add a real fresh element to the pasta.
This is simple and delicious. Make it this weekend and you won’t be disappointed.