Spring Roll Bun Burgers
September 27, 2016
Mix the spring roll ingredients. I added some BBQ sauce to help them blend with the burger better. Fold up the spring roll in the shape of a burger bun. Then fry them up! Perfect little crispy spring roll buns! Meanwhile, cook the burgers. Make them slightly bigger than the "buns" because they will shrink a little. YEA! I almost forgot the sweet and sour and it TOTALLY MADE this burger. I also wasn't sure about the cheese but having just a hint of American cheese on this thing was perfect. These were very manageable to eat and didn't fall apart as bad as I thought they would. I was able to eat each half with minimal mess on my plate. Just the right amount of mess you want from any good juicy burger. I made a video too! Check it out below.
Spring Roll Bun Burgers
- Spring Rolls
- 1/2 pound Ground Chicken
- 2 cups Shredded Carrot
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 2 tablespoons sambol garlic chile paste
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 12 thin spring roll wrappers
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 3 slices American Cheese
- 1 large Tomato sliced
- 1 handful Baby Spinach
- Sweet and Sour
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Chile Flake
- 1 splash Soy Sauce
- 1 splash Sriracha
- In a frying pan with some oil, season and cook the chicken until browned and cooked through. Remove.
- Add in the carrot, cabbage, and scallion and cook until softened and reduced in size, about 8-10 minutes. Remove.
- In a large bowl, mix the veggies with the chicken, chile paste, and bbq sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Form the spring rolls by putting one wrapper down, adding some filling, and then folding the wrapper over the filling on all sides to form the round bun shape. Wrap the spring roll a second time, but put the folds on the opposite side this time. Repeat until you have 6 spring rolls, 2 for each burger.
- Fry the rolls in oil at 375 degrees. Remove and allow to dry on a rack.
- Form 3 patties with the meat, a little bigger around than the spring rolls because they will shrink.
- Grill the burgers on each side to brown and cook to a medium doneness.
- Add the cheese after flipping to melt.
Sweet and Sour
- Mix all the ingredients well and set aside.
Build the burgers
- Put the first spring roll seam side up on a plate.
- Top with the burger, then the tomato, spinach, and sweet and sour.
- Top with a second spring roll, seam side down. Serve immediately!