Nachos with scallion pancakes instead of tortilla chips. Topped with lots of cheese, jalapenos, Chinese spareribs, and hoisin.
- 1 pound Pork Belly diced
- 1 tablespoon Grated Ginger
- 1 tablesooon Grated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chile Paste
- 2 teaspoons Honey plus more
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha plus more
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 cup Hot Water
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil (or so)
- 2 cups Jack Cheese
- 2 Jalapenos thinly sliced
- Mix the pork with all the marinade ingredients and stir to combine. Allow to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Cook in a pan on medium heat for about 1 hour until browned and cooked to chewey but tender and most of the larger chinks of fat have rendered out. Add water if the mixture gets too dry and starts to burn. Turn up the heat if the mixture seems to not be cooking enough.
- Remove from the pan and chop into smaller peices. Add additional honey and sriracha to form a slight sauce.
- Meanwhile, add the hot water to the flour in a bowl and stir well. Season with salt. When the dough starts to come together, move it to the counter. Knead once its cool enough to handle. Continue kneading until the dough is soft and well formed, about 15 minutes. Cover and set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Split the dough into 6 peices and roll each out into a pancake. Paint on some sesame oil with a brush and top with scallions. Roll up the dough in a tight spiral, and then roll the log into another spiral. Press down on the dough to flatten it. Repeat with the remaining peices of dough.
- Roll the dough out and cut into triangles like tortilla chips.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a frying pan. Add the scallion pancake chips in batches of 8 or so, cooking and flipping to brown on both sides. Set aside on a rack until you do all of them.
- Build your nachos starting with the chips, then adding cheese, pork, jalapenos, and more cheese.
- Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melty and delicious.
- Top with hoisin and serve.
After eating Chinese takeout a few weeks ago and having some scallion pancakes that were much crispier than normal, I decided that they would work great as chips for nachos. Chinese boneless spareribs are one of my favorite takeout options, so I thought they would be fun as the topping along with jalapenos and lots of cheese. I fried up the pancake chips so they were very crispy, piled them up with all the toppings, and threw them into the oven. These scallion pancake nachos tasted so awesome and would be a great appetizer or snack for Chinese takeout lovers.
Start with some pork belly that is marinated in 5 spice, chile paste, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, and more.
I cooked it down until it is browned and tender but still chewy. Add a little honey and sriracha to the finished meat to give it extra stickiness.
Meanwhile, make the pancake dough. Pour hot water into the flour and knead until smooth.
Roll out the dough and top with sesame oil and scallions. Roll it up for form layers.
Fry the scallion pancake chips for a few minutes per side until browned.
It’s hard not to just eat them all at this point.
These nachos came out so damn good. the sweet and savory pork was perfect with the crunchy but tender chips.
The jalapenos gave it just enough kick!