I have been playing this game Night in the Woods on my Switch and I am completely obsessed.
It is hard to describe how this game works, but I would recommend it to anyone, it is engrossing and beautiful and way more emotional than you would think it would be,
considering the main character is a cartoon cat. At one point in the game, some of the characters are eating at a mall food court (because that’s the kind of things you do in this game) and they can’t decide between a pizza taco and a pierogi burger, and I immediately knew I needed to make a pierogi burger. I made it the next day, which was yesterday, and here it is today.
You could use store bought pierogi for this but the burgers would be slider sized. I whipped up a quick pierogi dough so I could do full sized burgers.
The filling is potato, onion, butter, and cheese.
Make the rounds “burger sized” whatever that means to you.
These are already looking bun-like.
After you boil them, saute in some butter to brown.
Build the burger with some sour cream and caramelized onions.
The cheese on the burger is jack because I wanted something mild and melty.
This thing was surprisingly portable. The large pierogi were flexible and helped it all form together as one big burger.
The potato is so buttery and creamy and goes great with the burger. I had a little extra sour cream on the side to dip it in because that’s how I roll.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups cooked potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- salt and pepper
- 20 ounces ground beef
- 4 slices jack cheese
- 3 large onions sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- To make the dough, mix the ingredients in a large bowl until combined, then pour on to a floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes until smooth. Wrap with plastic and set aside in the fridge.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onions. Cook on medium low for about 10 minutes. Pour the butter mixture into a bowl with the cooked potatoes and mash them all together. Add the cheese and stir to mix.
- Cook the sliced onion in a pan with some butter on medium heat for about a half hour/45 minutes until browned.
- Roll out the dough and cut 16 burger sized rounds from it. Place a scoop of the potato mixture on half of the rounds. Place the other half on top of the first half to form the pierogi. Press the potato mixture to a uniform size and shape, and make sure to get most of the air out. Seal the pierogi on the edges with a fork.
- Bring water to a boil and cook the pierogi until they float, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from water and add to a frying pan with butter. Sear on both sides to golden brown.
- Meanwhile, form burger patties the same size as the pierogi.
- Once all the pierogi are done cooking, add the burgers to the pan and cook on high heat about 4 minutes per side to a medium doneness. Add cheese after flipping.
- Put a pierogi on a plate and place the burger on top. Add the onions and some sour cream and top with another pirogi. Serve!