These tots are flavored from the inside out with a spicy vindaloo paste.
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon Coriander
- Pinch Clove
- Pinch Cardamom
- Pinch Cinnamon
- 1 Habanero
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Red Vinegar
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Potato Flakes
- Oil for Frying
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Clove Garlic
- 1 Splash Red Vinegar
- Mix the paste ingredients except for the onion and vinegar in a food processor or mortar and pestle. Cook the onion in a pan with some butter for about a half hour until very browned. Add in the paste you just made and cook another 3 minutes. Add in the vinegar and stir. Remove from heat.
- Grate the potatoes. Put them into a bowl with water and stir them around. Strain. Repeat. Squeeze the potatoes to remove moisture. Toss the potatoes with a little oil and salt and spread them onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.
- Mix the onion mixture into the potatoes. Add in the egg and potato flakes. Stir well. Squeeze some with your hand to make sure it forms and holds together. If it is too wet, add more flakes, too dry, add another splash of vinegar.
- Form your tots and fry them for about 5 minutes to brown.
- For the sauce, just mix all the ingredients in the blender until smooth.
- Serve the tots while hot with the sauce.
I was thinking of a flavor profile to add to some homemade tots, and vindaloo curry came to mind because there are usually potatoes in the dish. It was actually a great flavor combo, and it was pretty easy to mix and blend the flavors. These tots were a prefect pregame meal before a long day of drinking and wandering around the city, but they would be great as a late night snack as well.
Shred the potatoes first.
Give them a quick rinse to bring the starch level down a bit.
Squeeze the potatoes out to make sure they are nice and dry. I cooked these for about a half hour in the oven.
Next make a paste of some curry powder and then garlic, ginger, and chiles.
Brown some onions really well, then add the curry paste. Pour this into the potato shreds, and add an egg and some potato flakes.
Form your tots, and fry them to brown.
Serve with a bright and fresh cilantro sauce.
These tots are really spicy and flavorful and the deep flavor matches well with the light and fresh sauce.