Veggie Chili Curry
September 16, 2015
Step one is to cook the onions way down. This will give us a meaty depth of flavor and a nice sweetness.
Carrots in next.
Meanwhile, I ground some spices for the recipe. Feel free to use ground spices or even a blend but I was feeling adventurous that day and had just unearthed my mortar and pestle from one of the boxes.
Garlic, ginger, and jalapeno go in next.
Then the spices. The spices really dry everything out in the pan so keep them moving as you cook them for about 2 minutes.
Tomatoes in next and the sauce starts to form.
Green pepper, cauliflower, green beans, and chickpeas just simmer int he tomatoes for awhile until they are tender, and then you are ready to plate it up!
I also made a simple raita with yogurt, cucumber, cilantro, garlic, and lime. Served with some brown rice, this was exactly what I needed!
Filling and healthy with nice interesting flavors.
Veggie Chili Curry
- 2 Onions (diced)
- 3 Carrots (diced)
- 5 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Thumb Ginger (grated)
- 2 Jalapenos (diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Aniseed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Clove
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cardamom
- 1 Tablespoon Turmeric
- 28 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 Small Head Cauliflower (rough chopped)
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock (or veggie stock for vegetarian)
- 1 Handful Green Beans (chopped)
- 14 Ounces Chickpeas (strained and rinsed)
- To Serve
- Cooked Rice
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 1 Tiny Clove Grated Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Cucumber
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Lime
- Cook the onions in a little butter for about 20 minutes until they are starting to get medium brown. Add in the carrots and cook 5 minutes. Add in the ginger, garlic, and jalapeno, and cook 5 minutes. Add the spices and cook 2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and stir well. Add in the pepper, cauliflower, and chickpeas. Add chicken stock. Cook 5 minutes. Add the green beans. Cook 5 more minutes. Cook until veggies are to desired softness. Add more stock as needed for desired thickness. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Make the raita by mixing the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, cilantro lime juice, and salt.
- Serve the curry over the rice with a little sauce on top.