The flavors of poke, including the raw tuna, in a couscous pasta salad. Lots of cucumber, seaweed, tobiko, scallions, cabbage, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- 1.5 cups Middle Eastern couscous
- 1/4 cup Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 cup dried wakame seaweed
- 1 English Cucumber diced
- 1 bunch Scallions sliced thin
- 1/2 small head Cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 clove Garlic grated
- 1 inch Ginger grated
- black and white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons tobiko
- 12 ounces sushi grade tuna cut into cubes
- Chile Flake
- Cook the couscous in simmering water until tender, about 10 minutes. Strain and rinse with cold water.
- Stir the oil, soy, honey and lemon juice into the couscous.
- Meanwhile, cover the seaweed with warm water and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Strain and rinse.
- Mix the seaweed, cucumber, scallions, cabbage, garlic, and ginger into the cous cous mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more soy, oil, salt, or veggies to your liking. Stir in some sesame seeds as well.
- Finally add the tobiko and tuna last. Serve and garnish with more sesame seeds, some chile flake, and tobiko.
Poke is great to make this time of year since there isn’t much turning on the oven or stove involved. I thought it would be fun to serve it in pasta salad form instead of over rice as a side dish or appetizer to bring to a late summer party. The flavors came through great with the chewy pasta, and this actually tasted awesome before even mixing any fish in. Because I added lemon to this which normally isn’t in poke, you need to make sure to add the tuna only a few minutes before serving so the acid doesn’t start cooking the fish.
Couscous, cucumber, and cabbage.
Scallions are added and the seaweed is going in.
Sesame seeds finish it off and all it needs now is the tobiko and tuna.
This dish is so bright and vibrant! The colors just beg you to eat.
All the flavors go so well together and taste pretty much like a classic poke.
The couscous brings a new texture into the mix that works great with all the other textures of the poke.